• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Pay discrimination.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay discrimination.

Good morning,
    whilst working in a small company of less than 25 employees we have previously been paid for isolation during Covid-19 situations as well as during periods of illness where we have been absent from work.
    Holding a manager’s position I have been informed that during recent absenteeism from work due to isolation re Covid-19 certain employees will only be entitled to SSP.
    I wanted to check if this can be correct as the company has previously paid employees in this situation.
    Working from home is not an option due to the nature of the business.
    Any help much appreciated. Thank you.
    Tags: None

ULA Can you please take a look and advise, many thanks.

Comment

What does the company's sick pay policy or any contractual clause state about being paid more than SSP i.e. company sick pay.

Is this discretionary?

If so then the company can decide not to pay people for being off sick other than any SSP, however it needs to be carefully that they apply their discretion consistently to avoid any accusation of discrimination. My thought is also,, if they have consistently paid for Covid related absence since March last year and now deciding not to, even if this has been discretionary, given you are a small company, then it would have maybe been better for staff to have been notified that from xx date only SSP would be paid.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Good morning
        thank you for your reply. The company policy states no sick pay is or will be paid other than SSP. It would appear they have broken their own policy by paying full sick pay in the past.
        I would be interested in the legal interpretation of this. Many thanks.

Comment

A company can chose to pay sick pay over and above SSP, even if an employee would not qualify under the company rules, however this goes back to my earlier point about if they do so then they need to consider each case on its own merits and be able to justify any accusation of possible discrimination.

If they have chosen to pay company sick for everyone in the past, thereby disregarding the own company rules and now want to enforce these rules, then this goes back to my point about them just letting all staff know this is going to be the case.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you for your reply it now gives me a clearer understanding of the situation and to sum up it all really relies on company discretion. Many thanks again.

Comment

Glad LegalBeagles could be of help

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X