• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Covid_19 Vaccination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid_19 Vaccination

Hi,

My son who is a mobile Gas Engineer works for a Housing Association and he has today received a letter from his Employer headed "Formal Consultation - Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement"

He is to enter a period of consultation for a period of fourteen days from the 21st July and finish on the 3rd August 2021 and as part of the new legislation he is required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and subsequent booster vaccinations going forward. The strength of the letter is "if you choose not to be fully vaccinated, you will be subject to dismissal from your current role".

My son as mentioned is a Gas Engineer and has visited care homes twice in eight years of his employment to deliver a temporary fan heater however, they seem to be enforcing this legislation on him for full vaccination or lose your job! I fully understand about getting vaccinated however, I also respect his rights not to have the jabs if he so wishes not to.

There is nothing in his Contract of Employment regarding this and I just need clarification as to what his rights are as an employee to the company.

Many thanks

Pete
    Tags: None

Currently there is no laws that says an employee must have the vaccine, even if an employer would prefer someone to have it. That said the government has proposed a change in the law, whereby it would require anyone who works in a care home in England to have the COVID-19 vaccine, unless they have a medical exemption. The plan is to introduce this change later in 2021.

Given the limted contact your son has in a health care setting the employer may have a hard time arguing this qualifies under the proposed new legisltation.

Your son's employer may argue that an instruction to have the vaccine could be regarded as a 'reasonable instruction' on their part but that will depend on the circumstances. Following that line of argument then failure to follow a reasonable instruction can lead to a fair dismissal, most likely 'dismissal for some other substantial reason' (SOSR). However, even where the instruction is reasonable, the dismissal process also has to be fair. Only an employee who unreasonably refuses, taking into account the circumstances and reasonableness of the request to be vaccinated could be fairly dismissed.

If he does not wish to ve vaccinated then he needs to be given, via this consultation process, the opportunity to set out his rationale for the refusal, and the employer will need to consider the reasonableness of this.

I would also be interested in the rationale the employer has for insisting on vaccinations.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
      Currently there is no laws that says an employee must have the vaccine, even if an employer would prefer someone to have it. That said the government has proposed a change in the law, whereby it would require anyone who works in a care home in England to have the COVID-19 vaccine, unless they have a medical exemption. The plan is to introduce this change later in 2021.

Given the limted contact your son has in a health care setting the employer may have a hard time arguing this qualifies under the proposed new legisltation.

Your son's employer may argue that an instruction to have the vaccine could be regarded as a 'reasonable instruction' on their part but that will depend on the circumstances. Following that line of argument then failure to follow a reasonable instruction can lead to a fair dismissal, most likely 'dismissal for some other substantial reason' (SOSR). However, even where the instruction is reasonable, the dismissal process also has to be fair. Only an employee who unreasonably refuses, taking into account the circumstances and reasonableness of the request to be vaccinated could be fairly dismissed.

If he does not wish to ve vaccinated then he needs to be given, via this consultation process, the opportunity to set out his rationale for the refusal, and the employer will need to consider the reasonableness of this.

I would also be interested in the rationale the employer has for insisting on vaccinations.

Many thanks for your prompt response Ula. I believe he will have to put his case to his employer and se what the outcome will be.

many thanks for your help.

Comment

Once he had done that if you or he have any further questions just come back to this thread.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Celestine ULA Employers are encouraged to support the Covid-19 vaccination programme. However, there are currently no laws which makes the vaccine compulsory even if an employer prefers someone to have it. Employers should not force their staff to get the vaccine. Your son could raise an issue by speaking to his employer or even his trade union representative if he is part of one. However, if your son does not want to get the vaccine he may not be able to visit the care homes for work purposes.
          I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X