• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Economic duress to sign new contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economic duress to sign new contract

Hello,

My team have been put on reduced hours/wages during the pandemic (70-80%). Our department is now being restructured and new contracts are being offered with slightly higher wages than before that will be backdated to April 1st. However these contracts write out our right to union recognition and collective consultation (which was the only thing that supported us in fighting to keep our jobs during the last year). Until the contracts are signed the team will remain on reduced wages.

Could this be an example of economic duress/coercion? We do not want to forfeit our collective union recognition, but feel we have no other choice if we want to be paid in full.

The money is budgeted for and all we did to reduce our wages was to sign a letter stating we agreed to a temporary reduction in hours. Should they not reinstate the hours before negotiating this new contract to avoid coercion?

Many thanks!
    Tags: None

and the unions says??? any response from them?

Comment

The union have asked to be consulted about negotiating new contracts but the company are refusing to engage with the union collectively. The union has also pushed for us to be reinstated on full hours on our current contracts, but have also at one point privately suggested that members sign the contracts to protect their job security and union membership levels (Many people have resigned). We will only be allowed union representation on an individual basis if the contracts are signed. This is an arts organisation.
      Last edited by Sprockets; 16th April 2021, 10:41:AM.

Comment

Ula might be able to assist?

Comment

Has the union been recognised by the company for collective consultation in the past?
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X