• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Has my solicitor cost me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has my solicitor cost me?

I’ve just been through a tribunal with my old employer, and the reserved judgment has come back not in my favour. I felt there was a turning point where my barrister was trying to argue a point, but the judge stated ‘that was not the claim out before them’. The barrister then said ‘well I can’t control what was done before me’... it was at that point, that my solicitor seems desperate for me to settle what was a relatively low offer in comparison to loses (20k). Did they make a mistake? Are used them on I recommendation, and initially paid £3000 for the particulars, and then my insurance took over. Throughout the process there were missed deadlines, leading to the witness statements only been exchanged a few days before the trial. And me not getting a physical copy of the bundle until 10 minutes before the start of the trial. I was given a link to an online site with a massive 500 odd pages, I spent the week trying to find out what was not in the bundle, I also stressed that certain things should have been added, but they did not add them. There are two phone calls obtained via SAR I asked to be added, but they did not add them. And mid trial, there was a document I realised was missing that I had provided. My barrister told me email to my solicitor and ask him why they did not add this document. They did not reply.

I understand that mistakes can be made, but if they cost me, there are avenues to pursue right?

The judge says failure to make reasonable adjustments was not added.

This was in the conclusion, which I found unusual.

“There is no claim before the tribunal for failure to make reasonable adjustments”

Tags: None

Have you raised a complaint in accordance with the complaints procedure of the law firm.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I have put a complaint in, and the solicitor has instigated the complaints procedure.

I have one day left to put in a reconsideration request. I have gone through the judgement, and it is very clear that the judge has got factual things wrong. I have put this together and pointed towards the evidence. What can I do about this? There is a part where they mention there is no medical evidence, yet I provided years worth of medical evidence

Comment

Ula I have done the above, but I am having an issue with the reconsideration request, which times out tomorrow. The link on the Gov site is broken, and the contact number cuts off after into every time. The only way I can place the reconsideration request is via email, which they have yet to reply too. Is this sufficient to lodge the request?

I have given reasons where the ET have been factually incorrect, and directed them to the bundle pages where the evidence to prove that is.

My solicitor also did not add documents I gave to them, which would have added context to a cruel period in time. It does say on the Gov website, "if there is new evidence".. Would this be allowed to be considered?

Comment

Have you send the reconsideration email in today i.e. within the timescales of the deadline which is within 14 days of the judgement?

I presume that you put your case number in the subject line of the email as well which is useful for the Tribunal to process.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Yes, I got it in, and had to contact the Tribunals service on Twitter to get them to acknowledge it. They have said they have forwarded it onto the judge.

Do you know if there a time limit for reconsideration? I am wary of the 42 day EAT window too.

Regarding EAT. Am I at risk of paying costs there? Is it a full blow trial again? Can I add the missing evidence?

Comment

There is no time limit for a Judge to review a reconsideration. The timescales on the application to the EAT is very strict so do not rely on hearing back on the reconsideration before making the sumbission.

The same applies to the payment of costs at an EAT as at an ET there is always a risk. You may be well advised to read this document if you wish to pursue an EAT

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...-19-09-19-.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
                There is no time limit for a Judge to review a reconsideration. The timescales on the application to the EAT is very strict so do not rely on hearing back on the reconsideration before making the sumbission.

The same applies to the payment of costs at an EAT as at an ET there is always a risk. You may be well advised to read this document if you wish to pursue an EAT

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...-19-09-19-.pdf

I think the sticking point for me is "a point of law". What has happened in my case is that the judge has made a judgment where he has made certain statements, such as, "there is no medical evidence" ...... yet, I have pointed to 30odd sieved in the bundle in my reconsideration request. It is clear they have not read the bundle, or even looked at the reams of GP & Occupational Health evidence.

Do In just have to accept they didn't read it, or is there an avenue I can pursue past reconsideration? I find it hard to believe a judge will accept to be proved wrong, and will go back on his decision.

It's really frustration this is. I would grudgingly accept a fair judgment against me if thats what it was, but it is bordering on a fairytale what the judge as written, and is not based on the evidence in the bundle. Surely our great legal system is not this bad.

Comment

Unfortunately the only course of action you have after reconsideration is the EAT.

Comment

So I put in my complaint, which was responded to 2 days after he said he would. He’s not accepting he forgot to put ‘failed to make reasonable adjustments’ in, yet every email we ever had was titled that.

I placed in my reconsideration request, but yet to hear back, and the deadline for EAT is Tuesday. What do I do? I don’t have any representation now and really don’t known what to do.

Also, toward the trail the lawyer seems to try to get me to settle for anything over £15k. I’d paid £3k myself before my insurer stumped up another 7-10k I guess. This leaves me wondering why a solicitor would take on a job then try to get me to accept more or less what has been spent on it.

Comment

Even though you have made an application for reconsideration which you have not heard back from you need to get your EAT in on time.

Comment

Do I put my reasons, and the EAT decide if it goes ahead or not?

Comment

This will be a useful document for you to go through particulary sections 2 & 3

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/.../07/eat-pd.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X