• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Daughter fired & re-hired contract dispute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daughter fired & re-hired contract dispute

Hi, hope you're all well.

My daughter's employer has been treating their staff pretty badly lately. She's had enough and applied for another job, which she was lucky enough to have been given now, starts Monday week.

In her current job, she was fired and re-hired in September, with a probation period of 24 weeks. Her new contract says that until the 24 weeks has passed, the notice of termination required is 1 week. That applies to both parties. So she has given them a little over week's notice, but they are refusing to accept it, saying she must stay for at least 4 weeks, because they consider that the 24 weeks should include her previous contract.

The company has recently been notified that they will soon be audited by a regulator and have required the staff to return to the office full time to get their paperwork up to date for the audit. I presume this is why they are reluctant to let her go.
    They're bringing the staff to the office, pretty much just to cover their backsides, because the management haven't carried out their duty.

I'm not really sure what action they might plan to take against her, but seeing as her previous contract was terminated by redundancy, it is her current contract that is in force and that says 1 week.
    I'll go get the wording..
    Tags: None

Clearly stated here in, well it's red now, but original is black & white..

1. Name of Employee
    You ***** began employment with ****** on 29 September 2020.

2. Date of Commencement of Employment
    Your employment in your new role will commence on 29 September 2020. Your previous employment does not count as part of your period of continuous employment. Your period of continuous employment commenced on 14 January 2019.

10. Notice
    The amount of notice to terminate your employment you are entitled to receive is not less than one week's notice and thereafter you are entitled to no less than four weeks' notice to terminate your employment.
    You are entitled to receive the following periods of notice from ******: Until successful completion of your probationary period - 1 weeks' notice Over 24 week's continuous service but under 4 years - 4 weeks' notice
    Over 4 years continuous service - one additional week for each year of service to a maximum of 12 weeks.

Periods of notice may be increased by arrangement to satisfy the requirements of *employer. Once notice to terminate your employment has been given either by you to *employer or by *employer to you, *employer may, in its absolute discretion decide not to vest in or assign to you any powers or duties; cease providing you with work; require you to undertake specific projects or prepare reports, either at home or on the *employer's premises; exclude you from any *employer premises; require you to return all *employer documents, materials and equipment forthwith.
    If *employer decides to do this, you will continue to be paid your salary and to continue to receive all *employer benefits until the end of the period of notice.

Comment

I think it is quite clear that the period is 1 week

Comment

Thanks Ostell, looks clear as day to me too!
        So, this look ok?

Dear *employer

Further to my email this morning giving notice of my resignation and our online meeting this afternoon.
        I am disappointed to have been told in our online meeting by **** that my 24 weeks probation period should include my previous period of employment.
        I have attached a copy of my current contract and I refer you to section 2 which states clearly:

1. Name of Employee
        You *employee began employment with *employer on 29 September 2020.

2. Date of Commencement of Employment
        Your employment in your new role will commence on 29 September 2020. Your previous employment does not count as part of your period of continuous employment. Your period of continuous employment commenced on 14 January 2019.

Since this is the contract that is currently in effect, the requirement preiod of notice is one week, that notice was served this morning 12-02-2021 and hereby reiterated.

If you believe, as you have stated in our online meeting, that I would be in breach of contract in giving you this notice, please reply in writing at your earliest convenience, explaining how any alleged breach may occur and on what legal basis.

I look forward to your reply,
        Smasher's kid

Comment

I wouldn't bother with the " If you believe...." paragraph and the next. The letter is a statement showing that they got it wrong and your daughter IS leaving so don't bother complaing.

Comment

Ok thanks, I was just trying to tie them down to "in writing" if they wanted to respond, since they drafted her into an online meeting and threatened her with breach of contract verbally. Not sure exactly what action they think they would be able to take against her anyway.

Appreciate your help.
            Last edited by Smasher; 12th February 2021, 16:56:PM.

Comment

Ah hang on! I just double checked again and this doesn't actually make sense if I break it down..

1 - Your employment in your new role will commence on 29 September 2020.
              2 - Your previous employment does not count as part of your period of continuous employment.
              3 - Your period of continuous employment commenced on 14 January 2019.

3rd statement says 14th Jan 2019! That was her previous period of employment, but that means it contradicts the 2nd statement.

Either way, she's leaving. I'm just trying to be sure that they're not going to be able to take any action against her.
              I'm guessing that she's pretty solid in saying that the 3rd statement can't be enforceable, since being made redundant, then having to re-apply and get a new contract cannot be continuous employment?

Cheers
              Last edited by Smasher; 12th February 2021, 17:43:PM.

Comment

When was the termination of her first contract due to redundancy? Just need to check the the time between termination and re-engagement.
                If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

She was made redundant on 17th August, although furlough payments continued. Started new contract on 29th September.

All done & dusted now tho. They've let her go now and even going to pay her ourstanding holiday pay, so she's really happy with that.

Appreciate your input, thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X