• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Does TUPE or precedent apply here please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does TUPE or precedent apply here please?

Hi.

I have some benefits that were agreed many years ago with my previous employers (personal mobile phone paid for etc). 4 years ago the company was acquired by a larger organisation and the benefits rolled on and have been regulalry paid by the new employer without ever being queried.

More recently, my reporting line manager has changed now and she is questioning the benefits which I have expensed per month, just as I have done so for years.

Given that I've 'enjoyed' these benefits for more than 20 years can someone advise on my situation and my wish to retain them on the basis that if they existed prior to the original company being acquired and have continued with the current company, then a precedent has been set and I can argue to keep them? My employment and the activities of the company remain identical from the original to the new company without any changes of responsibilities, job title etc. The only thing that has altered is by whom I receive my salary.

Thanks for the clarification in advance. It's appreciated.
    Tags: None

Are the benefits you were provided with by your previous company contractual benefits?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
      Are the benefits you were provided with by your previous company contractual benefits?
      Hi. Meaning are they defined within my contract of employment? I would have to check on this. What's the importance pls? I do have an emailed letter from my old director confirming the arrangement too from many years ago.

Comment

Where an employee has a contractual right to a benefit, the transferee employer will be required by TUPE to continue to provide that benefit after the employee's transfer. However if the contractual benefit included a power to vary or withdraw then your new employer may be able to rely on this.

If the benefits are non-contractual then potential is can be withdrawn by the new company. However given the length of time you enjoyed the benefit both with the old company and subsequently 4 years with the new company there may be an argument that this discretionary benefit may have become contractual through custom and practice.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you Ula. Could I ask where the line is drawn between 'there MAY be an argument that this ...benefit' and being more certain one way or another please? I'm likely to have a conversation soon about this and need to be a bit more certain of my position. I don't blame my manager for asking, she just isn't aware of the facts of the situation and how long I have had these terms apply. Thank you.

Comment

Unfortunately the law does not provide a definitive time that you need to be receiving a benefit that is descretionary for it to become contractual.

It is only my opinion but 16 in your previous company and 4 years in the company you were TUPE'd to, would probably mean that the payment of business calls on your personal mobile as a benefit have tipped over that line.

If your job is one that requires you to make a lot of business calls then maybe if the discussion comes up a possible solution would be for the company to provide you a mobile phone for the purpose of business calls only.

Comment

Many thanks Ula. Stay safe.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X