• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Raising a claim against more than one company ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising a claim against more than one company ?

Hi,

I am about to start proceedings against my ex employer and I would be grateful if you could give advice regarding ACAS early conciliation and its implications, and also advise on who I should be raising a claim both with ACAS and ET.

- My employee, X, dismissed me / discriminated against me. But to do so they used the HR department from another company, Y, owner of X. Y provided X with HR and legal advice.
    Who should I be raising my Claim against? X only or should I raise against X and Y? What are the risks of not lodging a claim against Y from the beginning with ACAS?
    Do I need evidence that Y discriminated against me to bring a claim with them as well? Or is their participation in the process enough?
    - The early conciliation with ACAS does not seems mandatory and a certificate number can be issued without ACAS mediation. If I opt down that route, can this be brought against the case in tribunal? I know there is another conciliation stage after the claim is lodged with ET.

Thank you

Last edited by ElisaWell; 7th December 2020, 00:19:AM.

If Y is the owner of your employer X, is X a trading entity in its own right?

You have to tell ACAS first before you can make an Employment Tribunal (ET) claim. They will offer you Early Conciliation and if you do not want to do this, they will give you a certificate number in order that you can pursue the claim with the ET.

Early conciliation is now, since the 1 Dec a phase that lasts up to six weeks, if agreement is not reached then at that stage the certificate number is provided in order for the claim to go to the ET. However, you and your ex-employer can still talk through ACAS during the tribunal process up to the point when a judgment is made. This is what is known as ‘conciliation’ (rather than ‘early conciliation’). ACAS do state that normally they will provide the same conciliator that you had for early conciliation.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
      If Y is the owner of your employer X, is X a trading entity in its own right?

You have to tell ACAS first before you can make an Employment Tribunal (ET) claim. They will offer you Early Conciliation and if you do not want to do this, they will give you a certificate number in order that you can pursue the claim with the ET.

Early conciliation is now, since the 1 Dec a phase that lasts up to six weeks, if agreement is not reached then at that stage the certificate number is provided in order for the claim to go to the ET. However, you and your ex-employer can still talk through ACAS during the tribunal process up to the point when a judgment is made. This is what is known as ‘conciliation’ (rather than ‘early conciliation’). ACAS do state that normally they will provide the same conciliator that you had for early conciliation.
      Hi Ula

Yes, correct X is a trading entity as so is Y
      X is a Ltd and Y a Llp

Comment

Potentially you would name your employer X as Respondent 1 and if you believed that the HR department of company Y, the owner of company X, by their actions also discriminated against you then they would be named as Respondent 2 in the ET1. You would have to prove that both had been involved in the discrimination that you are making the claim about.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
          Potentially you would name your employer X as Respondent 1 and if you believed that the HR department of company Y, the owner of company X, by their actions also discriminated against you then they would be named as Respondent 2 in the ET1. You would have to prove that both had been involved in the discrimination that you are making the claim about.
          They were definelty involved in the dismissal which in itself is an act of discrimination... elven if they were not involved in previous acts.
          their involvement in the dismissal can be proved

Comment

If you can prove both companies involvement in the discrimination you are claiming then it would probably be best to name your direct employer as Respondent 1 and then the owing company as Respondent 2.

It will be up to the judge to decide whether there is enough evidence for Respondent 2 to be party to the claim.

Comment

Thank you Ula you've been really helpful.

I have another question regarding Pension.

Are companies exempt to discount for pension during the probation period? Or should pension discounts be there from day one?

Thank you.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by pension discounts.

Under auto enrolment a company can defer an employee joining the scheme for up to 3 months. For many companies this coincides with the term of a new starters probationary period.
                Last edited by ULA; 11th December 2020, 16:28:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElisaWell View Post

Thank you Ula you've been really helpful.

I have another question regarding Pension.

Are companies exempt to discount for pension during the probation period? Or should pension discounts be there from day one?

Thank you.
                  Thank you. That makes sense.

Comment

Ula I have one more question about Pension.
                    I asked my employer why they had not paid my pensions for many months and they have mentioned they did not have a pension scheme that was fit for purpose. In a company with more than 30 employees, is this normal ?

Comment

By law your employer needs to put their eligible staff into a workplace pension and pay into it.

Comment

Hi,

It would be great if you could help me with a question I have:

Can a respondet transfer liability to other company ? The respondent is saying they've changed name but there is no record of name change in companies house and the new name they've given is off a company establish for more than 70 years. Is this legal ? Why would they do this if the initial legal entity still exists and will continue existing... ? (The only answer I find is that they're wanting other name to go in the public records?)

Thank you
                        Last edited by ElisaWell; 21st June 2021, 18:45:PM.

Comment

Does this relate to other threads you have regarding your ET claim and this one in particular?

Raising a claim against more than one company ? - LegalBeagles Forum

Seeing as you have an ongoing claim for which you are periodically coming to the forum to get guidance, it would be really helpful to keep everything on one thread. It just makes it easier for those of us providing advice not to have to check across multiple threads to ensure our advise on one issue takes account of historicial information on the claim.

I am happy to merge the threads to get this in order.

Thanks

Comment

ULA Yes it does refer to the same. Thank you.

Comment

ULA on the top of my first query above, it would be great if you could let me know if there is a limit of time to bring unpaid pensions with the pension regulator...

Thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X