• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Company aquisition query/advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company aquisition query/advice

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice or opinion on a company acquistion matter.

The small company I work for has recently been acquired by a much larger company, which is potentially great news for the small company's evolution, but my colleagues and I were not informed in advance that it was going to happen. I believe that it is a legal requirement for an employee to do so. The company is, or was, only small - just 5 employees. Three of us have been there since it was set up 15 years ago. For the five years prior to that, two us worked with the the person who started and became director and sole owner of the company. Frankly, without us he wouldn't have got the company off the ground. Three of us in particular have, over the years, worked long hours (no overtime) to make the company a success, and we are all quietly proud of what we have achieved. I'm aware that the owner took on the full weight of directing the company, and made some risky personal financial commitments, but the success has been very much a team effort. I guess we thought that if a day came when he sold the business, we would reap some benefit - maybe a handsome bonus of some kind - and at the very least be warned in advance, but that hasn't happened. There are no signs that we will see a share of the windfall. We've been told that the new owners will give us a small pay rise which, frankly, feels like a bit of a kick in the teeth. The director has said they intend to stay for at least three years and expects/hopes all of us do the same, to complete the ongoing projects, but I for one feel let down and hugely demotivated.

I'm wondering if anyone has some sound advice on how best to discuss it with the original [now rather wealthy] owner, and also with the HR dept of the new owners. Confrontation is not something I enjoy or am particularly good at.

Thanks.
    JS

Tags: None

I presume the original owner has 100% of the shares? Did the person ever speak to you or detail anything in writing about any form of bonus on "sell-out" to those of you that have been there since the start? If this subject has never come up over the 15 years either verbally or in writing there is nothing legally you have to support a request to the original owner for a share of anything gained financially from the sale. I understand given the efforts you have put in to make the business a success for the owner it is very disappointing if this is not acknowedged in some way but you may need to consider your relationship with the person and think how best to approach this if you are still inclined to do so.

In regard to the new company they would probably not want to get involved in any discussion on this matter as it is between you and the previous owner.

In terms of the TUPE transfer itself the old and new employers must consult about the consequences of the TUPE transfer. The obligations apply regardless of the size of the employer. If the employer fails to abide by the TUPE regulations, then potential there is a cliam for 13 week gross pay penalty for each affected employee. Depending on circumstances, liability is joint and several between the old and new employers.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Many thanks for the reply.

Yes, the original owner held 100% of the shares, and I have no memory or record of a conversation about a bonus in the event of a sale, unfortunately. I now see that this was a mistake, albeit an easy mistake to make, given that it involved someone I regarded as a friend/close colleague. I will tread carefully and see how things pan out over the next few months. I am mostly irked by the fact that the owner failed to consult with us in advance, which is not only illegal, it would appear, but disrespectful.

J.

Comment

Does TUPE apply to a straightforward sale of a business/transfer of ownership?

eg my understanding is that if you are employed by "Company A" which is owned by person B who sells it, TUPE does not apply if you continue to be employed by "Company A" - ie there is no change of employer.

so has your employer changed or just ownership of your employer?

Comment

If under the share sale, the legal identity of the employer of the business changes then under these circumstances TUPE will apply. So if the sold business is no longer know as ABC Ltd but becomes part of XYZ Ltd (the new company) then there is a change of legal identity meaning TUPE will potenailly apply.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

But if the employer remains the same entity, and has merely been sold and bought, TUPE does not apply?

(an example would be where Mike Ashley/Sports Direct empire bought businesses such as Sweatshop, Karrimor, Field & Trek, Evans Cycles etc, but an outsider would never have known because the businesses retained their own separate identities and are/were not part of the Sports Direct brand).

If I were the OP I'd confirm what has happened before relying on TUPE.

Comment

Interesting. I am still employed by "A", where A was the name of the company before it was sold. I guess TUPE may not apply then.

Comment

If you are still employed by "A" as the same legal entity after the sale to this large company, then no TUPE regulations should not apply, including the requirement to consult.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X