• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

My employer will fire me if I don't change bank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My employer will fire me if I don't change bank

Hi Guys,

I bank with Monzo and I have had no problems whatsoever with any of my previous employers nor my universal credit payments.

I have started a new job and I am about 2 weeks in and have already received my first pay check just fine last week. However, out of the blue this morning HR tells me that they dont really like my bank because they don;t have any high street branches and that i have to change which account i get my money paid into. They have said that if I do not do that then they cannot let me work for them anymore.

Is this legal?!
    Tags: None

Has your employer given as reason as to why a purely online bank account is an issue for them? If you have provided bona fide bank account details into which you would like your salary paid then I cannot see the problem.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
      Has your employer given as reason as to why a purely online bank account is an issue for them? If you have provided bona fide bank account details into which you would like your salary paid then I cannot see the problem.
      They said that, and I quote, "Because it is online only, they are concerned about the capacity for it to be abused and for people who have no right to work in the UK to use it for identity fraud"...

I would also like to point out however that not only can you apply to any high street bank online, but i have also provided my national insurance documents, my British passport and have actually met my HR rep in person in the office.

Comment

I emailed Citizens advice bureau pretty much immediately after i spoke with her on the phone and I have also notified Monzo that my employer have done this

Comment

Not sure why they are concerend about identity fraud or the right to work in the UK on your behalf? I presume that this latter point is not in question in regard to your employment status to work in the UK.

My main concern for you is, that since you have been employed for less than two years you would not able to bring an claim for unfair dismissal if your employment was terminated over this issue. The exceptions to this 2 year (103 week in fact) service requirement are dismissals which take place for a discriminatory reason which will be actionable irrespective of length of service, plus a few other circumstances but this situation would not qualify from what I can tell.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

This is also my concern. and its honestly sent my anxiety through the roof today dealing with it all. and no my eligibility to work in the UK is under no doubt, born and raised here in Devon my whole life, UK passport, UK driving license, National insurance

Comment

Just really thinking "outside the box for you".

I presume when you provided the information for your bank account there was nothing saying that as a company they do not accept salary payments into a purely online bank?

Would you consider opening a bank account with a high street presence bank even if you then transfer on your salary into your Monzo account? I appreciate it is a hassle for you to get this set up but its a way around the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by David1991 View Post
                This is also my concern. and its honestly sent my anxiety through the roof today dealing with it all. and no my eligibility to work in the UK is under no doubt, born and raised here in Devon my whole life, UK passport, UK driving license, National insurance
                I am going to be opening a high street bank short term as i REALLY need this job, nothing in any paperwork or handbook excludes certain banks and when i asked for this policy in writing I was told i would have to wait for her manager to come and discuss it with me.

I can theoretically get the money into another account and transfer it to monzo however Monzo recently introduced fees for people who use the account as a spending account. Transferring like this make it a spending account and you need to have your salary paid by BACS into the monzo for the fees to not be applied.

Comment

It sounds like you have thought through some possible options to get around this issue which I feel may be the best thing for you to do at the moment.

If I can think of anything else I will come back and post on this thread.

Hopefully if you give then a high street bank account this issue will be resolved.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X