• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy & Loan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy & Loan

Good afternoon,

I'm in the final stages of being made redundant (not voluntarily). I had a loan with the company and my employer is now looking to recoup this loan by way of a deduction from my redundancy - is this acceptable, and more importantly legal?

I don't dispute the loan but it will be hard for me to survive if my small redundancy package is reduced by this deduction. I don't have an official loan agreement, just a simple letter. The only clause referring to repayment in full is this:

QUOTE " Should you leave the employment of the company at any time then the outstanding balance at that time would need to be immediately settled."

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
    Mike

Tags: None

So the letter I presume sets out the terms of the loan, the repayments and this clause about settling in full on leaving the company. The quote that you stated clearly sets out the terms upon which the company would expect the balance to be repaid in full on leaving the company.

Is there a general clause in your contract about dedution from final salary of any monies that are owed to the company?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi ULA,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the letter sets out the basics, the principal amount, the repayment period and the monthly repayment. My main issue I have is with the implied term for the balance repayment. There's nothing in my contract and I didn't even receive a contract until this year - 3 years after starting my employment.

It's reasonable to interpret this [the quoted statement] as the balance should be repaid on demand should 'I' choose to leave the company NOT if the company and its redundancy process force this upon me. I believe this is unfair and would expect it to be unenforceable.

If I did not leave I would repay the loan normally over time.

Comment

I apprecite your comment about the fact that you are not choosing to leave.

The other issue for your employer, as I see it, is that your redundancy pay I presume is purely the statutory payment, they are not making any further contractual redundancy payment. If that is the case then since your redundancy pay is a statutory payment, that you are entitled to by law, I am not sure that they can deduct the outstanding balance of the loan from this specific part of the payment.

I suggest that you go to your employer on this basis and request an agreement to a payment plan that you would need to adhere to post employment. If you can get to some form of agreement then this may be the best solution, however you will need to keep up the repayments otherwise your by then ex-employer could take you to court to recover the outstanding balance potentially with interest.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi ULA,

They may not be able to deduct from a statutory payment but they could, I assume deduct it from holiday pay or notice. As i said i'm not looking to avoid this but I do want to be able to point out the fact that THEY have chosen this position by dint of the redundancy. I have no choice in the matter and no recourse.

Comment

Yes they could potentially deduct from non statutory payments. I appreciate you are not looking to avoid repayment but I suggest you do speak to the company about the fact they should not be deducting from statutory payments and therefore you want to agree a post employment repayment plan.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X