• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Freedom to Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom to Work

My brother worked in a tennis centre as a tennis coach. The boss got them to sign an agreement which had a clause in it which stated that if they left they couldn't work within 20 miles of the tennis centre. Four of them signed this agreement. One of them left the partnership as they called it to start up his own tennis academy which is within the 20 miles. He asked my brother to join him my brother said yes. The boss spoke to the person who left to start up his own academy call him person A, and told him that if my brother joins him they will take legal action against him invoking the 20 mile clause. So person A has now told my brother he can't work for him as he scared of legal action being taken against him. Now my brother is out of the job.

What I really want to do is take action against these people? Any advice will be welcomed. Has my brother got a case?
    Tags: None

I presume your brother was one of the four and if so was what he signed a contract of employment with him being paid as an employee? Was this restrictive clause in that contract. It would be useful if you could post up the specific wording (please anonymise for identifying information names etc).

Did the person that has left to set up the new academy sign this agreement?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Below is what a lawyer said about contract,
      I have had a look at this. What this is is a standard partnership deed, which appears to have been used in circumstances where it is not clear that there is a genuine partnership. As you identify, no capital is invested. It is more of a way to protect the interests of the managing partner. The restrictions are too onerous outside of a partnership.
      It is very relevant that one of the other four coaches has left without any objection. I doubt he gave 6 months notice. If he didn't, he is still a partner. Also the already left partner could not work elsewhere without Oliver's consent. So there are good arguments that the Managing Partner is not acting in accordance with the Partnership Deed.
      While the wording of the Partnership Deed impose onerous restrictions, I can come up with good arguments as to why they would not apply. I would need to consider it in more detail, but I do have a concern that, if Court proceedings were issued, there is a chance that Oliver might not succeed at Court. However, I consider the chances of there being Court proceedings to be extremely slim – commercially it is just not worthwhile.

​​​​​​​Yes he signed it as well. The managing director had 3 months off and the contract stipulates that all partners are only allowed 2 weeks off. Also my brother signed the agreement under duress. He was told that this agreement was needed to lower the amount of VAT the tennis center was paying otherwise the tennis center would go under. Have I got a case and is it suitable to mcol?

Comment

What type of claim would your brother be wanting to make - loss of potential earnings?

Given the information from the lawyer would person A not reconsider the offer made to your brother?
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X