• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Average hours calculation for part-time worker redundancy entitlement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average hours calculation for part-time worker redundancy entitlement

Hi, I was already laid-off before the COVID-19 drama and as I'd had no paid work for more than four weeks I requested the company made me redundant as is my right. Subsequently after a couple of weeks, they indicated they would make me redundant and I just received their figures.

I was part-time for 6 years my verbally agreed hours were 20/week which I did (with extra now and again). Until I was laid off I had been working my normal pattern for some time (much greater than 12 weeks) but the company have done a 12 week average (not sure which date range they actually used) and concluded I'd worked 17hrs/week.

The only way this could happen is if they have included a couple of weeks when I was laid off - The hours didn't reduce ad-hoc I was laid off abruptly.

So my question is for the purposes of calculating the 12 week average hours should the lay-off period be excluded or are they in the right to include it?

Thanks
    Tags: None

If you worked a normal pattern of 20 hours per week then I am not sure why they are using an average to calculate your weekly wage.

My understanding is even if you been laid off and then made redundant, your redundancy pay will be based on your usual weekly pay when you did your normal hours.

I suggest that maybe it would be good to go back to your employer and ask them to how they have made the calculation.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi, thanks for responding. The guidelines on gov.co.uk stipulate a 12 week average for part-time workers so I guess they're just following that.

It doesn't indicate why to use an average but I assume it's to account for workers who normally work variable hours?

However it seems unreasonable to include lay-off time in the calculation (if that's what they've done) as this doesn't reflect normal working and in reductio ad absurdum the hours would trend to zero for an extended lay-off period prior to redundancy.

Anyway I just wanted to be sure of my thinking before challenging the companies figures.

Thanks

Comment

The use of the 12 week period is for those staff that work varied hours i.e. people who work 12 hours one week, 20 the next, 15 the week after etc. If you work 20 hours per week on a regular basis then they should use this to calculate your weekly rate of pay.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X