• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Furlough vs Retained Staff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furlough vs Retained Staff

Hello,

A big proportion of the employees of our company have been furloughed through the government scheme and will be paid 80% of their salary, up to £2,500 per month - the company is not topping this up.*

The remaining employees will work full time and we have been told that we will be paid 60% of our salaries. Although I have been told that this will be changing to be at least 80% / £2,500 per month in line with the furloughed staff.

Is this in line with what other people are seeing, I feel like it's not unreasonable to expect to be paid more than those who have been furloughed? There doesn't seem to be any allowance for different roles above £30k salary, as we'd all be paid the same capped at £2,500 per month - and my salary is much more than this.

I am a bit surprised that this is "allowed", shouldn't my notice period count for anything? Afterall if I want to leave I have to provide my employer with notice.

I know this is unchartered territory and I do want the company to still exist when we get through this, but I also can't afford to take this kind of cut to my income.

Any advice greatly received.

Thank you

Tags: None

Hi, this is indeed very unchartered territory and I must admit this is the first case I am seeing where an employer is furloughing and asking those staff remaining to take a pay cut, although It does not mean that it is not happening elsewhere.

There are companies splitting their staff to maintain the business on a skeleton workforce but where the staff remaining are still getting their normal salary. I do not know what industry you are in but logically the furloughed staff will have their 80% covered by the job retention scheme and I presume the work that you and your colleagues who are still working will be doing will bring continued revenue into the business to cover the ongoing running costs and salaries of those remaining - maybe????

H
    owever one thing that has not changed in employment law is the fact that an employer, if they want to change the terms and conditions of employment, which whether you are being furloughed or asked to reduce your salary and continue working is a change, then they need to get your agreement and consider the issues that an employee may have with the change. As a solution would you be able to cope financially with 80% of your salary and be furloughed, if so you could ask for your employer to consider that option for you?*

Ideally there should be a period of consultation to change someone's terms and conditions, however given the pressure of the current situation, this may be an issue. In a normal situation if an employer has listened to objections and considered alternatives if they deem them to be unworkable they can dismiss an employee and then rehire on the revised set of terms and conditions. However, we are not in normal times but just wanted you to know all the options here.

Hope that helps but come back to this thread if you have any other questions.*
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I’m in a similar situation here, if I am furloughed, I will still get £2500pcm (before tax) as my company will top up....however my total earnings (75% commission) are far higher. My bills are far higher than the govt offer. So I guess I am just going to have to dig into the savings whilst this is ongoing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X