• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Sick note fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick note fraud

If an altered sick note is for provided for a period of genuine illness (cold symptoms) that could have been self certified (ie less than 5 days), is this still fraud under s2 of the fraud act and can criminal charges be brought? The person concerned suffers from anxiety and depression for which she is on prescribed medication and was under pressure from her boss to prove she was ill, which is why she says she doctored the note. She subsequently got antibiotics and a genuine sick note from the GP after returning to work as she was still ill.* She is seeking advice on discrimination issues associated with this but her organisation has referred the matter to an external counter fraud contractor to investigate and are carrying out an interview under caution next week. Police are not yet involved. She has already left the organisation (she had resigned for unrelated reasons before investigation was launched) but wants to know what the chances are that this could be referred to the police/CPS or worse...*
    Tags: None

If referred, IMO the police are likely to carry out a cursory investigation and mark it "no further action"
    was the genuine sick note for the same period as the falsified note?
    What organisation and who are these**"external counter fraud contractors" and has she been told her rights?
    I would suggest she takes a solicitor along with her , or even refuse to attend.
    If the matter is escalated to the police she can then insist on the duty solicitor being present at any interview (which is free)

Comment

Thanks Des8.* The genuine sick note was for the same period of illness but she never submitted it (she got it after the event).* She actually amended two in as many weeks for the same bout of illness.* In both cases, she returned to work within the week and so were self-certifiable periods.* The GP has written a letter confirming she was ill and prescribed anti-biotics, plus some narrative on her mental health.* The organisation is the NHS.* They outsource counter fraud work to a third party, who refer to an interview under caution in accordance with PACE and, if she doesn't turn up, arrest.* I cant actually see how they can rely on powers of the police as a third party, but I guess part of it is to intimidate.* She is taking a criminal lawyer who has written a statement to read.* My concern is that as a paid third party, they will simply take this to the bitter end and refer to the police/CPS (apparently they are able to go straight to them?), which will cause her significant anxiety and potentially worsen her condition.* I am trying to gauge thoughts on whether this is even fraud in the first place as I am in two minds.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X