• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Hourly Holiday Calculation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hourly Holiday Calculation

I would like to know how many hours annual entitlement I should be entitled to, my working week is as follows:

Monday 10:00am to 23.30
    Tuesday 10:00am to 23.30
    Wednesday 10:00am to 23.30
    Thursday 10:00am to 23.30
    Friday 10:00am to 19:00

However, on the last Monday of the month I have an early finish:

Monday 10:00 - 19:00

In addition on the first Tuesday of the month I have 3 hours off as follows:

Tuesday 10:00 - 19:00
    Tuesday 22:00 - 23.30

My current annual holiday entitlement is 30 days, 10 are compulsory days off over Christmas and thanks giving.

We are an English company registered and operate toatally within the UK, although most customers come from the US, hence having to take time off over Christmas.

My company recently introduced the compulsory time off over Christmas and Thanks giving, it has the effect currently of me loosing out on the last Monday early finnish and first Tuesday 3 hours off.

So I loose 7.5 hours due to having to take this time offf as compulsory and when booking holidays a full day is taken regardless of the fact that I may be due an early finnish.

Hence my reason for asking for clarification on what I should be entitled to if my holiday was translated to hours instead off full days off.
    Tags: None

The minimum annual holiday entitlement for workers who work a 5 day week is 5.6 weeks or 28 days and bank holiday can be included as part of the statutory annual leave.

Your employer is entitled to tell staff when they can take leave by way of a company shut-down at certain periods in the year.

Since you do not work on a zero hours contract or different hours each day your holiday entitlement will be calculated on days not hours basis.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Not all days are the same, not all weeks are the same:

Monday 10:00 - 19:00

Not sure I agree with your conclusion, it certainly seems different to what ACAS have informed me.

Comment

So do you effectively work a shift pattern? In which case what is your exact shift pattern.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Not all days are the same, not all weeks are the same:

Monday 10:00 - 18:00

Comment

I cannot see that this is a shift pattern such as 4 days on 4 days off. It seems from this that you work a full days 5 days a week except on 2 days of a month when you work slightly reduced ours but effectively still a full day.

Do you work those Mon to Fri hours every week of the year except on the last Monday and first Tues of each month when you finish early (Mon) and have 3 hours off (Tues)?

Comment

Yes that is the pattern. If I were to take a days holiday on the last Monday of the month, I would be using a full days holiday but only normally working 8 hours normally but if I took a days holiday on the 3rd Monday I would benefit from having 13.5 hours off. Does that seem fair?

Comment

Sorry one other question are you paid hourly or an annual salary?

Comment

Paid monthly, annual salary plus commission.

Comment

If your contract bases your holiday entitlement calculation on days, then this is normal given that you are paid an annual salary and you work defined hours.

However, in order to answer your question, I have done a complex calculation to try and work out the minimum statutory holiday you would be entitled to on an hour’s basis as follows.

You work a total of 63 hours per week over a 52 week period = 3276 hours per year
                    Minus first Mon & last Tues each month hours of 7.5 x 12 = 90 = 3186 hours per year
                    3186 hours / 52 weeks gives average weekly hours = 61.26 rounded to 61 ½ hours
                    Gives a statutory entitlement of = 344.4 hours holiday

Given average weekly hours 61.5/5 days worked in a week = 12.3 hours on average per day
                    Hours holiday 344.4/12.3 hours per day = 28 days statutory entitlement

I appreciate that you get more than statutory minimum but you can use the above calculation method to work through your enhanced entitlement you receive.

Hope that helps.

Comment

If your contract bases your holiday entitlement calculation on days, then this is normal given that you are paid an annual salary and you work defined hours.

However, in order to answer your question, I have done a complex calculation to try and work out the minimum statutory holiday you would be entitled to on an hours basis as follows.

You work a total of 63 hours per week over a 52 week period = 3276 hours per year
                      Minus first Mon & last Tues each month hours of 7.5 x 12 = 90 = 3186 hours per year
                      3186 hours / 52 weeks gives average weekly hours = 61.26 rounded to 61 hours

Given average weekly hours 61.5/5 days worked in a week = 12.3 hours on average per day

I appreciate that you get more than statutory minimum but you can use the above calculation method to work through your enhanced entitlement you receive.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post

However, in order to answer your question, I have done a complex calculation to try and work out the minimum statutory holiday you would be entitled to on an hours basis as follows.

3186 hours / 52 weeks gives average weekly hours = 61.26 rounded to 61 hours

Hope that helps.
                        Ok, many thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X