• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Can they just alter your working hrs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can they just alter your working hrs?

My lad has been working in a supermarket for a contract cleaners for a few months now. He has a contract but the hrs are not stated and in fact it says 6 hrs per week instead of 6 per day.
    Anyway he was working 1pm till 8pm then cause of credit crunch they said he could only do 3pm till 8pm 6 days a week. It takes him an hour and a half by bus to get there although it is only jusrt down the motorway from us.
    His boss has just rang him to say he must now start at 5 in the morning till 10.
    He has taken on a new starter and the new starter is having my lads hrs.
    He has no chance at all of getting there for 5 every morning so he will have to leave.
    Can this just happen ? I am going to tell him to get it in writing because he doesn't want to leave he just can not do the hrs that have now been told he has to do.
    Any advice on this please, cause I know he is going to have great difficulty getting another job.
    Enaid x

Re: Can they just alter your working hrs?

That would depend on the wording contained in his contract of employment Nelly.

If you could copy the wording from his agreed contract for everyone to look at.

Many contracts usually have within them something covering this, mine does and it is perfectly legitimate in my employment for my employer to alter the hours of my work.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Many thanks for that Tools, I was gutted last night when he rang from work to tell us.
      He was left a note with a number to ring if he had any problems lol. You start on these new hrs day after tomorrow due to "Operational Circumstances".
      The only way he could get there for 5 in the morning would be by taxi at a fiver a go, 6 days a week, then his bus pass for coming home, he would be better off on job seekers.
      He did a few hrs for the store at night over xmas and has got to know all the managers there so he has an interview on Teusday , fingers crossed, for all his faults and he has a few lol, he is willing to work.
      Just got CCCS sorted again as well cause he was working they doubled his payments, no way could he pay what they say if he comes out of work again.
      Nightmare lol flippin kids, who'd ave em ?

Comment

How long has he worked for them?

Comment

He started 8th September this year, so only just 4 months.
          What upset me more was they have taken on a new strter and put him on my lads hrs.

Comment

Has he actually told his manager/supervisor that the change in hours will create a problem or additional travel costs. It may be that if he does explain the problems created by this may be overcome by simply communicating his concerns.
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
              Has he actually told his manager/supervisor that the change in hours will create a problem or additional travel costs. It may be that if he does explain the problems created by this may be overcome by simply communicating his concerns.
              Yes he has and said to his manager he didn't think he could just change his hrs like that. The manager said he could do what he liked, so the lad left it at that.

Comment

Sounds to me like your son may be a victim of bullying, the manager seems not to like him. Unfortunately as he has only been there for 4 months, he has not met the statutory requirement of 1 year before he has any rights for constructive dismissal, unless he can prove he was discriminated against under certain laws - ie I take it he's not pregnant (lol), otherwise he could claim sexual discrimination, or whistleblowing would be another.

Has he thought about raising a grievance to his managers Line Manager? Do this in writing, stating his reasons for not wanting his hours changed, and he could cite his children as a reason as well. The store grievance policy should be laid out with the contract, companies of this size usually give out this stuff. If not, he could request it. It may be that the manager is just a control freak, and things may go in your son's favour if he is deemed as making a reasonable request, and his manager may get his knuckles rapped.

This could go both ways - the manager may be out to get him after this, or he may realise that your son is not a pushover and will lay off. I once tackled a bullying manager in this way, and it worked for me but it really depends on your son's temperament - some people are not strong enough or can't be bothered to cope with pressures like that, he may just decide to move on.
                Last edited by Ragdog; 28th January 2009, 23:25:PM.

Comment

Breach of contract - no time limit in employment (if his working hours are not in his contract, then it would be implied contract)
                  Also breach of contract due to non payment of his wages.
                  Increased costs due to travel
                  Bullying and harassment

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie View Post
                    Breach of contract - no time limit in employment (if his working hours are not in his contract, then it would be implied contract)
                    Also breach of contract due to non payment of his wages.
                    Increased costs due to travel
                    Bullying and harassment
                    Non payment in wages amounts to a remedy action in the Small Claims Court for unauthorised deducation in wages.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X