• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability

A friend had chemo in 2017 for 6 months and the employer made him redundant in 2018. The ET1 claim includes disability discrimination. The ET3 denies that he had/has a disability under the equality act. I thought that Cancer was?
    Tags: None

Under the Equality Act 2010, employees with cancer are protected from discrimination in the workplace, from the point of diagnosis and even after treatment and they have returned to work.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks, thats what I thought. I wonder why the employer would deny that the employee had a disability under the equality act in the ET3 when they had all the doctors notes and return to work from haemotology.

Comment

I really am not sure unless, if they are a small employer, they did not understand that the disability continues after a return to work.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

update. The tribunal have spotted it and requested an explanation from the respondents.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Will be interesting to see what they come back with.

Comment

Further update - The employer was supposed to respond by 12th August 2019 to explain why they believe cancer does not fall as a dsiability under the equality act. The request was made by a judge.

Could it be possible that a response is sitting at the tribunal without serving on the barrister? Still it would be a long time for the tribunal to sit on it.

What if they simply do not respond?

Comment

My suggestion would be to apply to the Tribunal but copy the Respondent to say state that as of today's date there has been no been no explanation as to why the diagnosis does not fall under the category of disability under the Equality Act as determined by the Judge which should have been forthcoming from the Respondent by 12 August.

Comment

Ok, the employer made a 4 line response to the judges question, allbeit after the judges deadline.. The employer states that after the employees returned to work with a 'complete remission' letter from the doctor they were unaware that the employee took any time off due to cancer between dec 2016 and 2018.

Initial diagnosis in 2015 was stage iv cancer. Pet scans actually were carried out in 2017 and 2018 to check.

We think that is a feeble response.

Comment

If, as a responsible employer they had done their homework correctly, then they should have known that even with a remission letter for the doctor the person was still covered under the Equality Act 2010.

Comment

That is exactly what the barristers have said. methinks the employer is deliberately messing about. The legal team conducting the employers case is provided by the HR insurance provided by the bank for the past 5 years. They surely would know this fact.

It is also noted that large 'fixed charges' have been placed on the company house records for the employer, no doubt securing not being able to pay out (ie winding up). This bit being a company law issue, can anything be done about this as the employment claim preceded the fixed charges. The employer has had previous history of avoiding adverse county court judgements in other companies by doing this.

Comment

Well I am glad my thoughts are consistent with what the barrister has said.

The fixed charge you can do nothing about. This is likely to have been put on by a lender to ensure the asset for which they provided the loan to the company cannot be sold without the lender's permission since the debt will need to be repaid.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X