• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy advice: suitable alternative employment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy advice: suitable alternative employment

I have recently gone through a consultation period whereby my role was made redundant and I was "at risk" of redundancy. Along with 5 other colleagues we were put into a "closed pool" were we were mapped to an alternative role and expected to apply for the role by attending an interview with the outcome of 3 remaining and 2 being made redundant. I was one of the successful employees and offered the role as apposed to taking redundancy. The role offers the same pay, location and hours, but the role title, reporting manager and responsibilities have changed. I am now day 23 into the new role and I have expressed my reservations and concerns about the role along with issues relating to my health formally on two occasions. On both occasions I have had a meeting with my manager who has informed that they don't believe a trial would not apply in these circumstances due to the fact that I was not made officially redundant and instead only placed at risk before alternative work was offered and if I did leave it would be on the basis that I was resigning from the role.

As it stands I would like to establish if I am entitled to a trial due to the above and if I am what would I need to do in the instance that my manager believes I am not entitled to a trial? I.e. would I need to resign and take this to the employment tribunal or remain in the role and take this to the ET. I am conscious that I have 28 days and if a job trial was applicable I don't want to overlap this period for it to be deemed that I was satisfied with the role and lose the right to redundancy pay.

Thank you in advance for your responses
    Last edited by gthomo; 5th June 2019, 20:51:PM.
    Tags: None

If this was offered to you as a suitable alternative position then you have the right to a four week trial period if the terms of the new job are wholly are partly different to those of your original contract.

The fact that you were in a pool, alternative positions were found and you were successful is I think is relevant because if you had not been successful you would have been made redundant.

If you can establish a trial period and you did not decide to take the role then you would have to provide a good reason for it not being a suitable alternative position to still retain your redundancy pay. If the company thought your refusal to accept the position was not reasonable then they could refuse to pay your redundancy. If they did this then in the first instance you would need to raise a grievance and then follow the internal procedure and if that did not succeed then you would need to apply to ACAS for early conciliation.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X