• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Any advice welcome- Re term time pay and sickness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice welcome- Re term time pay and sickness

I work 40 hours a week, term time (38 weeks a year). This is made up of 4 weeks paid holidays (which everyone is entitled to) and 10 weeks unpaid, but my wage is split over 12 months so I receive the same amount each month. I am due to go off for major surgery next month, this is while I would be in work and I will be sending in a sick note to cover this period. My term time holidays are due to start when my sicknote ends, but my employer says that I will keep getting paid sick pay for the entire holiday period. What I am asking is, is this correct? How can they pay me sick pay when I wouldn't usually be in work.
    Tags: None

Firstly I would take a look at your contract and see if it provides any information on this. Secondly does your contract continue between term times? In which case any entitlement to SSP will continue during the holiday pay period until your sick notes finish.

Hope I have understood your issues correctly, but this link may be helpful for you to look at.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/statutor...m-time-workers
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Ula, my contract is ongoing through holidays. But I've told my employer that my sick note will be dated from the date of my oeration, to the day I go off on leave. I even scheduled my surgery as close to my leave as possible to help my employer so they don't have to arrange cover for me. My surgery was supposed to be done two weeks go, but that would have left them short staffed for 6 weeks! So I asked my consultant to do the surgery later.

Comment

Maybe my misunderstanding, sorry not so sure of my employment facts with term time contracts.

Is the holiday you are taking off from your paid holiday entitlement. In my view if that is the case then you should be paid sick pay (I presume SSP) up until the last day of your Fitness for Work certificate and then the next day, you should be treated as returning to work albeit you are on the first day of your booked paid holiday.

You cannot be paid SSP if this is not supported by Fitness to Work certificates saying you are not fit to work.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X