• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Illegal driving hours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal driving hours

Hi,

I work for a company that happily forced me to work over 10 hours driving in a 16 hour shift, after I told them I was falling asleep at the wheel, I was still made to continue, and had a minor accident on my way home, this has led to me being off work with stress and anxiety, I was also asked to come for a diciplinarry when I refused to work due to not feeling great safe to drive due to these problems. This is literally the tip of the ice burg with this companis awful treatment of staff and working conditions. Wondering where I stand legally on this issue. Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Are you a driver for your job? In which case there are rules and regulation about how long you can drive for and your employer should be ensuring that you comply with these.

Have you raised this as an issue either informally or a formal grievance?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi, thanks for your response

I am raising this formally with them as we speak, although I have been so far passed around, and my requests for my tracker records is being ignored. Quite the opposite regards to them ensuring the laws are adhered to, we are always told that we have to go to a job if it comes in (I am an on call electrician covering a very large chunk of England) I raised the question with them and was told that it must be legal otherwise they wouldn't have made the hours the way they are (weekend shifts are from 1130-0200) at the time of telling them I was already falling asleep I'd been on shift for 12 hours, and the extra job would have definitely pushed me over the limit

Comment

So effectively are you are a mobile worker? Have you opted out of the Working Time Directives 48 hour working week. Working time includes traveling time between sites and customers since, if you are a mobile worker, it is integral to your job.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

yes, I have, but have checked the government site, and it states that driving more than 10 hours per shift is punishable with a fine or even jail time

Comment

the issue here isn't so Mich total hours, as it is hoirs spent behind the wheel

Comment

*much

Comment

I presume you are referring to this information which relates to lorry, bus and coach drivers.

https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/gb-domestic-rules

Comment

no, it falls under gb domestic during laws https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drivers-...domestic-rules

Comment

I have also spoken to acas, who confirmed the relevance

Comment

Yes I posted up the link because of its relevance and it supporting any formal grievance that you raise.

Comment

ah ok, sorry, i thought you were referring specifically to vehicles with tacos....... I'd just woken up an email went around recently regarding cuts in the way we're paid so the company can make more profit (another grievance I'm raising) and the response from other engineers shows that these conditions are completely the norm, and everyone is pressured into driving above these limits. in total I think there are about 4 or 5 issues, but this is the most serious, and the one that has led to me suffering panic attacks and anxiety due to an accident which happened after I told them I was too tired to drive whilst being unaware of the law.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X