• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Duty of care to fellow employee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duty of care to fellow employee

Hi.

I work as bank staff for an organisation and I am employed in one of the commercial departments.

A fellow worker is constantly falling asleep and complains of feeling cold so he puts a convector heater on underneath his desk, he comes to work late and when he arrives he brings his breakfast with him and eats constantly for about half an hour. Also he complains about the chairs being bad for his back while we are happy with them. He has had about three days off work in the short time he's been working for us.

When he first joined us about a month ago there was a very strong smell of weed and we can't prove that he is a user without searching him which we don't have the right to do. He regularly goes out of the building allegedly for a smoke but he's gone for ages.

His work is suffering due to this behaviour and I suspect that all of this is due to weed and addiction.

Myself and others have suggested that he goes to his GP but he shrugs it off.

The problem is that I have complained to our boss about him before and I was told to mind my own business but surely I have a duty of care to him and other co-workers under the law as does my boss.

What should I do?

Kind regards
    Tags: None

If you have a duty of care here, and I doubt it, you have amply discharged that duty, by a) advising your colleague to see a doctor and b) airing your concerns for your colleague's welfare to your manager. Your manager has advised you to mind your own business.

If, however, you complain about your colleague's conduct, that is a different matter entirely.

Comment

Hi there
      As an HR Manager for an organisation, have you bought this to your HR departments attention, preferably in writing? Does your organisation have a drugs/alcohol policy, which may include the right to test an employee? If an employee raised these concerns with me, I would then have to take some action, possibly in the form of an informal conversation with this employee and may be a drugs test (we have with cause testing in place). It doesn't sound like his manager is concerned about him.

Comment

Is his conduct affecting you doing your work?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X