• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Suspension , not working notice , references, PLEASE HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension , not working notice , references, PLEASE HELP

hey!
    On monday I was taken into an office at work and advised I would be suspended for gross missconduxt pending investigation for 5 days.
    this was due to an allegation of having made unauthorised outbound calls .
    i know for a fact they will dismiss me so I landed an interview on the Tuesday and subsequently been offered the position at a new company.
    however they want me to start on April 1st which would fallwithin my notice period.
    can I resign with immediate effect while suspended?
    If so should I do it now or give them until the end of my 5 day period?

And should I be worried about references ?

please help as I simply can not afford to wait for the inevitable sacking before looking for employment
    Tags: None

How do you know you will be dismissed, is this because the allegations are true?

You could leave within your notice period but I would look at your contract to find out if there are consequences in doing so. At the very least if you owe them money by leaving early they have a right to have this paid pack or deducted.

In terms of references, a previous employer can just refuse to provide a reference but if they choose to provide one it must be fair and truthful.
    The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

I believe it will lead to dismissal as the company unfortunately has a history of dismissing employees fairly rapidly , my superior and I have always gotten on wel , however the Friday before , he made some very inappropriate comments of a sexual nature and I asked him not to and the next working day I am suddenly suspended pending investigation. Now I am not looking to go down the route of unfair dismissal , as I advised I have a new company who is happy to have me start on the 1st of April.

Ive just never been suspended before and I am unsure whether it is better for me to wait for a decision which I was told I would have by Friday, or resign now.
      im not looking for a payout nor am I particularly after getting outstanding holiday allowance paid.

i want as clean as possible break so I can start new employment

any help would be great

Comment

There is nothing to stop you handing in your notice and you would serve out your notice period, although it sounds like this would take you beyond 1st April. However, it does not mean that the employer will stop any investigation or potential disciplinary procedure, should they decide that you should be say summarily dismissed then they can still do so.

So, the choice is either wait for the outcome of the investigation and find out if disciplinary action will be taken or you resign now and see if you can negotiate an early release date in order that you can start your new position. Maybe also see if you can agree a form of reference they would be happy to provide to prospective employers. Even if they agree to provide just basic details such as job title and dates of employment that would be useful.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X