• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy

Good Morning

My Story

I was asked to cover a role as an interim within my work place when a colleague left to which I agreed. A recruitment processed followed which initially I was unsuccessful as a decision was made to recruit externally. An external candidate was recruited and I began a hand over process.
    In the meantime due to a restructure my original role within the company was made redundant and I was given notice of redundancy which I am currently working

The person who was recruited to take the role that I was covering as interim has since left (after a month)
    I have been told that no decision has been made regarding the role my question is that if the role is to be re recruited the fact that I've been covering it for 7 months mean that I have a case for it being Suitable alternative employment within the company and a good reason to appeal my redundancy ?

Thanks
    Tags: None

If the role is to be re-recruited in my opinion, from what you have said, the company should consider this being a suitable alternative position.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks Ula , my plan is to appeal the redundancy prior to it happening internally on the grounds that there is suitable alternative as a first step and take it from there I have 5 1/2 weeks before the date of leaving so will put it in now . Would the company have to advertise the role or due to the circumstance could they just offer the job ?

Comment

It would depend on whether there was anyone else in the redundancy pool in which case everyone affected should be given information on all suitable alternative vacancies and allowed to apply.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Well that pool is me , I have drafted a letter of appeal against the redundancy , just thinking of timing of when to send it in as if the redundancy goes through then I will be looking to claim unfair dismissal

Comment

At what stage are you in the redundancy consultation process?

What should happen is that at the end of the process i.e. they have consulted about your role being at risk, they have given you time to put forward proposals, if any, to avoid the redundancy and they have discussed with you any suitable alternative positions then you will receive a letter confirming that your position is terminated by way of redundancy. In this letter they must give you the right to appeal the decision and it is at that point you would put in your appeal letter

Comment

I was informed on the 17th of January that as part of a review my position would be redundant from the 11th of April and I received a further letter yesterday confirming this. No mention of an appeal. The restructure created a 3 into 2 scenario which I applied for and was unsuccessful. This was not the role I am currently performing but recruitment for that is waiting sign off. When I brought it up I was told its not a vacancy yet. But it will and I would be qualified to do it an also have the last 7 months of experience in the role . In the mean time I have been asked to hand over some parts of it to other people as a contingency that's about where we are up to. As for discussing alternative roles there was a print off of the company vacancy web page handed to me

Comment

Sounds like a very limited redundancy consultation, which can happy when there is only one position affected. However in the wording of the first letter in Jan was it talking about your position being "at risk" of redundancy?

If the letter you received yesterday is confirming that having completed the redundancy consultation process your position will be terminated by way of redundancy and detailing your redundancy payment then there should have been a paragraph about the right to appeal.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X