• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Question about OnCall / Overtime

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about OnCall / Overtime

Hi All,

Bit of back story, I've worked at the same company for 15 years as an IT Support Engineer, since starting the role, 1 week in 3 we were expected to do an on call rota, for approx the last 10 years we were given an allowance for this, things have changed somewhat within the company. The CIO has moved our on call duties to another team, we were promised we would be made whole and not out of pocket, but that's not the case, effectively now without the on call allowance I am 15-20% down. There has been no change to my contract, just an informal "you are no longer needed to do it".

My question is, are they allowed to just do this? I'm just pretty annoyed being promised we would be made whole yet nothing has materialised. HR aren't really interested.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Was your allowance a contractual term or was it non-contractual?
    How much notice were you given of its removal?
    What was said and who said that you would not be out of pocket? Was this follow-up in writing?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
      Was your allowance a contractual term or was it non-contractual?
      How much notice were you given of its removal?
      What was said and who said that you would not be out of pocket? Was this follow-up in writing?
      I'm not sure, I would need to double check what was in the contract. I'm certain my original contract said there would be a requirement to do on call, then there was an amendment made circa 2007 / 2008 to give us an allowance for being on call due to it's disruptive nature.
      It's removal was on the cards for around 6 months or so. But there was nothing formal put in writing. There was a discussion between our team and the CIO that he would make sure we i quote "be made whole and not out of pocket" those were his exact words, there were multiple team members on the call, but he never put this in writing.

Comment

I would be really interested in what your original contract says about on call and the amendment in 2007/2008. I am particularly interested in whether there were any clauses about with the giving of reasonable notice the requirement to being on-call can be varied and as a consequence the allowance altered accordingly.

Do you have the date and rough time of the call?

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
          I would be really interested in what your original contract says about on call and the amendment in 2007/2008. I am particularly interested in whether there were any clauses about with the giving of reasonable notice the requirement to being on-call can be varied and as a consequence the allowance altered accordingly.

Do you have the date and rough time of the call?

I've requested a copy of my Personnel file so should have all the info soon.

Comment

Thank you for the update

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X