• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employer Age Discrimination - Restriction on selling lottery tickets:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer Age Discrimination - Restriction on selling lottery tickets:

Just would like some advice on this:

I work at a small convenience store/supermarket which employs around 13 people. There are around 2 other employees who are under eighteen. Last week we introduced national lottery tickets and scratch cards and us under 18 employees have been selling them as you would expect given that you can buy and sell lottery tickets and scratch cards if you are 16 or over. However today the store manager has decided to implement a new policy - barring all employees under 18 selling lottery cards or scratchcards cards without the approval of a supervisor or another employee over the age of eighteen.

His justification for this is that he believes that because we are under eighteen, we wouldn't be able to refuse to sell lottery tickets or scratch cards to a customer who was under 16 and that he doesn't believe we are capable of carrying out 'Think 25'. There have not been any incidents of any employees under eighteen being unable to turn down customers who we do not believe to be over 16 and previously an under eighteen employee has challenged a customer they did not believe to be over the legal age to buy lottery tickets and scratch cards.

I have spoken to ACAS and they have said that as long as we are legally entitled to sell lottery tickets and scratch cards, the employer must have a legally justifiable reason as to why they have restricted us from selling these products and that it would be up to an employment tribunal to decide whether their reason was justifiable - if not it would be considered age discrimination in their eyes- as it makes it more difficult for us employees under 18 with this new restriction given the volume of lottery and scratch cards sales we deal with.

ACAS mentioned that it could be considered discrimination under the Equality Act 2010 because it is potentially 'Indirect Discrimination' because it is a 'policy, practice, procedure or workplace rule which applies to all workers, but particularly disadvantages people of a particular age.'

They have recommended that I contact my employer to say that I believe I am being discriminated against because of my age and to ask them to provide justification.

I just wanted some advice on whether - like ACAS said - it is possible that this is age discrimination before I raise it with my employer.

Thanks!
    Tags: None

I would say so, being 18 doesn't stop you being able to say "Do you have any I.D?"

Perhaps Ula would be more knowledgeable.
    PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

ACAS is correct employees above the age of 16 can legally sell lottery tickets and your manager would need to have a strong justification as to why you could not to avoid his policy being discriminatory.

In terms of what you have stated his justifications are then:

1. "we wouldn't be able to refuse to sell lottery tickets or scratch cards to a customer who was under 16" - it is a legal obligation that you do not sell lottery tickets to customers under the age of 16 and some simple training to staff with maybe some extra support for younger members of staff to build up their confidence to challenge someone's age will overcome this issue.
      2. "he doesn't believe we are capable of carrying out 'Think 25'. - in which case that can again be covered off by training. Which as a manager I would assume should be something done as part of any person's induction into the store and it is always good to remind staff on a regular basis of this.

I would go back informally to your manager and if this does not receive a positive outcome then you should raise it as a formal grievance.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Lottery in general is strange and hard thing to regulate. I have been buying scratch cards in the past and we truth be told I never won anything in my life doing those things so I am not a huge fan of them. So when a friend of mine told me that he won in a lottery I didn't really believe him. When I asked him to elaborate it turns out the guy was playing ethereum lottery (which is a type of cryptocurrency). He showed me a website and explained how it worked (you bet ethereum and guess the digits. The more you get right, the bigger amount you will win). I was skeptical since to me it seemed like ethereum lottery is just another way to lose money, but I gave it a go and I won. It wasn't much (about 0.03 Ethereum) but it was a win. My first one. Since then I have been stably winning and my appreciation only grows.
        Last edited by MrDynamite1; 31st January 2020, 14:07:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X