• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employer refusing to pay Bonus as per contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer refusing to pay Bonus as per contract

Hi all,

I have been working with this company for 4 years and i have asked my bonus calculation for 2018 as they "forgot to do it".

3. Salary and Benefits
    A commission scheme is in place based on 2% over the net annual target of £550,000 gross, £467,500 net for 2018. A Company laptop will be provided (guidelines as laid out in the Staff Handbook).

This is what its written in my employment contract that i signed in 2018 January.

Because i run a series of online stores the employer states that the fees we pay to sell on these ( eBay and Amazon) is at 15% and this needs deducting from the total net turnover. Although this was never the case or mentioned anywhere in the contract or verbally agreed.

So this is how my employer understands that sentence.

2% over the net annual target 550,000 net. < which is ex vat but inc fees so its gross
    467, 500 net < which is net of 550,000 net less 15% fees.

My understanding of that sentence is that i get 2% commission of anything over 467,500 net figure.

Please let me know your toughs and opinions .

Tags: None

Sorry forgot to add that instead of £2200 end of year bonus as per my calculation i only get 350.

Comment

Sorry a little bit confused with your figures and the limited detail so here is what I think should be the calculation.

1. Your target above which you would be paid commission is 550,000 net
      2. Take the figure total net turnover you achieved
      3. From this figure needs to be deducted 15% giving figure yy
      4. Figure yy- 550,000 = zz
      5. zz x 2% is the amount of commission.

Not sure if that helps.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi, yes that is how they calculated my bonus.

But deducting fees is not mentioned in the contract and it wasn't the case in the previous years when I have received a bonus on anything over my net turnover.

What my argument is that it says 550 gross and 467 net, no mention of fees will be deducted.

Comment

If the operation and criteria for the commission scheme is detailed in your employment contract signed by both parties then to change the way in which the calculation is applied would need to be informed to you and agreed in advance, since it is a contractual term.

If however there is a separate commission policy, maybe contained within a staff handbook, which is subject to management discretion and non-contractual then changes in how it is operated or the criteria for commission payments can be made without an employee agreeing to such a change. However you should really have been notified of the change in advance of the implementation of it.

If the commission scheme operated is a contractual term then I suggest that you have an informal discussion with your manager about the situation and if you do not get a satisfactory response then the next stage would be to raise a formal grievance.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X