• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disciplinary Query - Urgent Help/Advice Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disciplinary Query - Urgent Help/Advice Needed

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here can help with my query. Recently at work, a colleague of mine who works in my office took a personal document of mine from my desk without my permission and made a photocopy of it and handed it to senior management. For the record, it was a poem which had a political slant (containee some swear words too) on it - as a result, I am now facing disciplinary.

I want to ask: did that colleague of mine breach GDPR by taking something from my desk without my permission? If so, which aspect of GDPR can I reference?

That being said, I think my employer is taking me to task because of the content of the poem. It's not an inflammatory poem, nor does it incite anything sinister; it's a poem of empowerment more than anything.

I feel aggrieved, as that document could've been anything - a bank letter, a hospital letter, etc. I feel like it amounts to theft of my personal effects, but I'm unsure where I stand legally.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Tags: None

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but I'll ask a couple of questions, anyway:

1. Was this in plain sight on top of your desk, or tidied away inside a drawer - perhaps one where you kept other personal possessions?

2. Was it inside a folder/envelope?

3. Did you produce it whilst at work?

I don't know about GDPR - I can't see the relevance - but it's a breach of copyright.

Comment

Hi 2222. Thanks for your reply. See below:

1. Yes, it was in plain sight on my desk, but I had left it face-down.

2. No.

3. Yes, I printed it straight from the internet at work. It didn't flag up on my workplace's content monitoring tool either - usually when you try to access anything deemed inappropriate, it's blocked.

When you say breach of copyright, what do you mean? Sorry got my ignorance.

Thanks.

Comment

"Yes, it was in plain sight on my desk, but I had left it face-down."

Was there any explanation why your colleague was rooting through stuff on your desk? Was he legitimately looking for something, then came across this by chance?

"When you say breach of copyright, what do you mean? Sorry got my ignorance."

The way you put it, I thought this was something you had written yourself. Hence, you'd own the copyright. I gather that it was somebody else's work, so please ignore that point.

Comment

Was there any explanation why your colleague was rooting through stuff on your desk? Was he legitimately looking for something, then came across this by chance?

==

No explanation was given to me as to what my colleague was doing at my desk. I'll know more on Monday hopefully.

It all seems to have been dealt with disproportionately - it's hard not to feel aggrieved.

Comment

Don't feel too aggrieved. Somebody else will be along shortly who understands this better - hopefully! My thoughts are:

1. You may have cause for complaint about how the document was found, but it's no defence against any wrongdoing on your part.

2. Many organisations have rules about how you can use the office computers. If you have broken those rules, there could be sanctions. If this is a minor breach, the sanctions should be minimal.

3. "It didn't flag up on my workplace's content monitoring tool " - no excuse, I'm afraid.

Comment

Ula may pop in here

Comment

Thanks for your insight, 2222.

Comment

Not much insight, I'm afraid. It's not my field at all. Good luck, and hopefully an expert will be along!

Comment

The issue of why your colleague was looking through documents on your desk will be one to ascertain at your disciplinary and may have some bearing on the situation. However, my view is always that if you want documents etc to be private and they are personal to you do not have them at work.

Does your company have a policy in regard to the use of it's property for personal use? Does your company have a policy with regard to personal use of the internet? This may be the issue that the company is considering in that you have breached these policies by printing off material from the internet whilst at work.

Also just want to make sure that you have been notifed of the disciplinary in accordance with the company procedure? Have you been given the right to be accompanied, given an indication of what disciplinary action may be taken, provided with all documents/evidence that will be relied on by the company and where you given adequate notice of the meeting to give you time to prepare your defence?
                    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X