• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Sick pay query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick pay query

Am I understanding this right?

does my employer have to pay minimum off 28 weeks ssp?

ive been off sick for about 15 weeks and the manager is telling me the company policy for ssp has changed to 10 weeks ssp.

on the government site I’ve noticed that the employer can pay you more than 28 weeks ssp but not less. Is this correct before I re approach her about it or am I just missing something?

thanks

Tags: None

Employers pay up to 28 weeks of Statutory Sick Pay. If they have a company sick pay policy they follow that and not statutory. They do however, have to pay you a minimum amount each week and can opt to pay you more if they choose. You need to check your contract if there is anything in there regarding sick pay.

I believe your entitled to 28 weeks from your employer but I'll tag someone who will know a lot more and will correct me if im wrong. SandraF
    The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

This may help Stevens:https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay
      I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

My manager has said the company sick pay is 10 weeks and I have used all it now. If I go sick from now it would be unpaid.

is not true then if the company sick pay lasts 10 weeks then after that would the government statutory one would kick in by the 11 week?

kind regards

steven

Comment

Are you entitled to ten weeks based on certain requirements or is that for everyone no matter how long they have worked for etc? Companies can decide the terms under which they pay company sick pay.

I dont need to know the figure but was the weekly pay more than £92.05 you recieved for the ten weeks?

As far as I can make (from legal research I have conducted) your employer can limit the duration of company sick pay(generally speaking but not always, company sick pay is more generous that statutory sick pay), however because SSP lasts up to 28, they would need to honour that and pay you up to that point at atleast the minimum payment of £92.05 a week.

Hope this helps.
          The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Hi James,

I think the 10 weeks is the same for everyone, but hopefully tomorrow I can get up to date copy of my contract and staff handbook and give you a more precise answer to your first question.

yes my weekly earnings figure works out to be more than 92.05 (£160 per week to be precise)

in on your experience if one uses up the 10 week company sick pay entitlement, does it get renewed again next financial year?

Comment

Again, you will have to look in your contract to find out all the terms and conditions, if any, of the company sick pay. I would assume that it would re new each year but you would need to check.

Comment

The terms of your contract will determine how the company deals with sick pay if you move from one sick pay year into another on the same period of sickness.

In regard to statutory sick pay, once you have exhausted your entitlement to company sick pay you should be paid in line with the current SSP rate of £92.05 per week up to 28 weeks of sickness.
                If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X