• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Previous Employer refusing to give reference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previous Employer refusing to give reference

Hi,

I have recently applied for, been interviewed and successfully been offered a job working within the civil service.
    I have gone through all of the security, background and criminal records checks, all done without problems.

The issue I am having is that the only thing holding up the process is that the office/department I will be working for are awaiting a reference which they have requested from my former employer, more specifically the manager under whom I served during my time there.

I left this company a few months ago at my own choice i.e. I wasn't sacked or made redundant. The choice to leave was mine alone and I would still be there today had I not left: I was under no pressure to leave the role. However my manager and I did not get on (one of the reasons I chose to leave the role) and I have been led to believe from former colleagues that my former manager has said that she has received the request for a reference but is outright refusing to supply the information, and will claim that she has never had a request at all.

Time is now passing on and I am concerned that the delay will possibly result in the offer of employment being withdrawn.

Given this, I guess my question is this: Is my former employer/manager breaking any law by doing this? I can't help but feel there must be something in the law which would protect people from this happening to them, as she is effectively preventing me from gaining further employment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Tags: None

Hopefully the matter has been resolved but if not in answer to your query, there is generally no legal obligation for an ex-employer to give a reference. I suggest that if you believe that they are not providing the reference because you did not get on, is there an alternative person who can provide the reference, either the HR Department or another manager whose details can be given to your new employer.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X