• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Annualised hours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annualised hours

Hi have worked for the NHS as a theatre nurse full time for 19 years and am very happy in my job, I was wondering what my chances are of being accepted to work annualised hours as my son has significant special needs and complex emotional issues, he is on the SEND register and has an EHCP but attends main stream school. I feel he would benefit from me spending time with him during the school holidays rather than him attend child care which is stressful for him. He is 12 and this would be for about 4-6 years then I would return to normal hours.
    Tags: None

Hi Moohound,

Not my area really but thought I would put in my pennysworth having working in the NHS in my previous life.

I would have thought annualised hours would be really difficult to sort out bearing in mind cover over the 24hr period. Are you thinking more having longer summer holiday breaks to enable you to look after your son or more last minute days off, if there was a need to be there for him? Maybe monthly hours would be more palatable? Although there remains the issue of ensuring cover for theatres without the need to go to agencies or bank for example?

I suppose there is no harm in asking them to consider but I'm sure someone will jump in if that is the wrong thing to do. I think you need to get your thoughts straight on exactly what it is you are asking though rather than just 'annualised hours'

Sorry I can't be more prescriptive here, could just see the main argument for why it would not be authorised I suppose so maybe think outside the box a bit to see if there is any other plan you could propose.
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

I wonder if a flexible working request would be appropriate here?
      Although the legislation refers specifically to hours, times and locations I understand that it's quite common for such a request to be used to facilitate a change in working days e.g. by women returning from maternity leave etc.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/part/8A

If you could put together a proposal that would make you available for more hours/shifts during school terms, perhaps covering unpopular shifts like nights, then reducing the days you would work during school holidays might seem to be an acceptable offset to your employer

Comment

Hi, we only do elective surgery Monday to Friday 8 am to 6pm so there are no night staff in our department

Comment

Hi Moohound,

Hopefully that will put you in a better position to negotiate as mariefab has suggested. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
          I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X