• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Pet camera filmed heating engineer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet camera filmed heating engineer

Hi
    I would like to know if the following example can be considered an act of gross misconduct:

I left a heating engineer alone in my house to fix the boiler in the hall. 5 mins after I left the house. He went into my bedroom, crawled along the floor to my bedside drawers and spent an uncomfortably long time looking through my personal possessions.
    when he spotted the camera he left things alone and exited the room. One hour later he re-entered my bedroom, muttering that he was looking for a phone charger, went back to the drawers, unplugged the camera then plugged it back in 10 mins later.

His employer has written to me to say the engineer has now had a disciplinary hearing and the outcome is that he remains employed by the company but his role and responsibilities have apparently changed (although I’ve seen him out and about in the company van).

I’m not happy with the decision and any thoughts would be welcome as to how I should respond to the employer please.
    Tags: None

Can you keep it to one thread please. Delete one thread or the other

Comment

Trying to, don’t know how. Sorry

Comment

My thoughts are that there is little you can do directly to persuade the company to take more serious measures against this engineer.

You could possibly inform the company that you are considering initiating a claim against the company for aggravated damages following trespass.
        It might push the company to implement further action, although you don't know fully what action has been taken'
        Driving their van doesn't indicate much either way
        This action would be debatable and is put forward in the hope it sparks ideas from other beagles

Comment

Thank you. Not sure I want to pursue but to make an informed appropriate response. The employer used language in his letter to me such as ‘disappointed’ whereas I was hoping he would be ‘appalled’. I showed the employer the video and his immediate reaction was one of shock and he said that his employees actions were no misunderstanding..now it would seem he’s changed his mind.

Comment

In your first post you said you were unhappy with the way in which the employer had acted ie disciplinary and an apparent change in employees role and responsibilities.
            Do you know what those changes were?

Now you imply you are unhappy with the response to you.

I was suggesting the threat that you would initiate court action might produce a stronger reaction, not that you should actually take action.
            Perhaps though you need to work out what steps you would like the employer to take, altho' firstly you need to find out exactly what action they have taken.

Comment

I can appreciate your view in regard to the conduct of the heating engineer in your home however, I have to say, that I am surprised the heating engineer's employer gave you as much information as they did about what action they have taken against the individual. In my opinion what has been divulged is confidential information between the company and their employee and could even be seen by the employee concerned as a breach of trust and confidence which is an implied term of any employment contract.

My opinion would be that all you do now in response is to seek assurances from the company that if you require the need for a heating engineer in the future that it is noted on your records that this individual should not be sent to deal with your issue.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi DES8
                oh I see what you mean...good idea

Comment

Hi Ula, thank you
                  now you mention breach of trust, I’m guessing this can also apply to the employee’s actions in my house?

Comment

Of course another consideration is that as a disciplinary has already been held, and action taken it might not be possible for the employer to revisit the matter (? Ula }

Also what outcome would you be looking for? loss of job, but would that impinge on a (young) family?

Comment

Hi DES8
                      no the company have not said what the changes to his role and responsibilities are

Comment

Hi DES8
                        yes I think the chap has a young family.
                        The employer shared with me that his circumstances weren’t great and this couldn’t have come at a worse time for him, so mitigating circumstances? Or a reason to go rooting through someone’s belongings in the hope of finding something of value if your short of cash?
                        what is worrying is the video leaves you feeling that he may have done this before although clearly I can’t prove this.
                        Any other thoughts are welcome, this is helping me look at it with a more balanced view.
                        i was so tempted to share the video on Facebook but haven’t don’t this. I have showed (not shared) the video with family and close friends and they all react in the same way. Even when I first showed the video to the employer (hoping it was a misunderstanding)he reacted with ‘that’s no misunderstanding’. He seems to have changed his tune

Comment

Yes I was thinking loss of job...not so sure now

Comment

Originally posted by Petcam View Post
                            Hi DES8
                            no the company have not said what the changes to his role and responsibilities are
                            As disgusted with his behaviour as you are but apart from him losing his job not much more can you expect Quality heating engineers are hard to find if he is such he would have no problem getting another job at least this company hopefully can keep him from doing the same again

Comment

Certainly I would advise against publicising the video.... naming and shaming might sound good but it is an avenue fraught with problems.

I think all right minded peeps would react adversely if they knew a tradesman had breached trust, but one must be aware that punishment has to be proportionate and consider the affect on innocent third parties.

I assume you will possibly not use this firm again, and I think your only action can be against the firm. it would probably not be worth initiating action against the individual if his circumstances are straitened

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X