• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Student Loans Repayment/Bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Loans Repayment/Bailiffs

I'm new here but will cut to the chase. I took out student loans when at a different address 14 years ago. My old landlord from that address tracked me down & contacted me the other day advising me that i had been receiving letters from Student Loans Company(SLC). He kindly scanned them & emailed them to me.
    One seems to be from the SLC telling me how much i need to pay & the other seems to be from "AJJB Associates" asking me for that money. I'm assuming that they are a debt collecting agency. The SLC letter seems to have arrived after the AJJB one.
    I contacted SLC & was told to phone before 17:30 (when i'm at work) as i need to talk to the "Suppression Department".
    I'm a little worried as i thought(probably incorrectly), that SLC should have automatically deducted my loan bit by bit years ago from my salary as they have my NI number etc. But now i'm not sure if someone might be towing my car away in the middle of the night etc., or turn up at my door try to extort even more money.
    Please advise. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ad1; 13th October 2010, 19:39:PM. Reason: grammar

Re: Student Loans Repayment/Bayliffs

Hi Ad1,
    As I see it with the 14 years that have passed since the loan and barring any contact concerning the 'debt' then it is statutes barred and should be discounted or written off. There are a few factors that have to be taken into consideration so please take a look in this link and see if these apply to your case.
    Debt Factsheets - Liability for Debts and the Limitation Act
    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Re: Student Loans Repayment/Bailiffs

"Student loans

Student loan agreements are simple contracts and this gives the Student Loans Company (SLC) 6 years from the date you last paid or acknowledged the debt to go to court to enforce the agreement. There are two sorts of student loans and different rules apply depending upon when you took out the loan.
      Old style or “mortgage” student loans are consumer credit agreements. Payments cannot be automatically deducted from your wages. The SLC has to go to court before they can enforce the debt against you. This means that the Limitations Act can apply if you have not paid or acknowledged the debt for over 6 years. (Asking for the loan to be deferred could count as acknowledging the debt and start time running again).
      From September 1998 new style or “income contingent” student loans include rules to say that repayments are automatically deducted directly from your wages or through your tax return if you are self employed. This means that the SLC are still allowed to take money from your wages for a loan over 6 years old as they do not have to go to court to do so."

From the above link.
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

US dept? this is a UK site

Comment

TOMMCHRIS and LINNELLAA are spammers and have been reported.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X