• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shooter- Student Finance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooter- Student Finance

Hi Guy's I've not been around much as had major probs with my mum being in hospital and now bed bound but determined to stay in her own home.

Anyhoo, my situation is about to take a drastic change and here is why

I am 39 yrs old and have finally decided to take charge of my life.

I have 1 child still at home (16yrs old)

DD decided to go to college to do hair dressing and while she was deciding upon which college to go to, I made up my mind to do something. I left school at 16 with few exam results ( mainly low grade CSE's).
    I decide upon a BTEC National Diploma for ICT Practitioners Software development. This is a full time course. I started on 16th September.

My only income since Andy's death has been
    • Widowed Parents Benefit
    • child Benefit
    • Child Tax Credit
    All of these are dependent on my daughter being in full time education.

This ok as we managed adequatley especially with having the added stress of bank charges lifted from my shoulders.

But Today everything has Changed

My Daughter has been offered an apprenticeship which is better for her, but means that she is no longer in full time education. So Now my income is going to drop to ZERO

I really don't want to give up this course as it will lead to me doing a degree in computers and eventually lead to a well paid job.

I am looking for part time work but haven't had any luck as yet.

I know that as a full time Student that I wont have to pay Council Tax, but thats all I'm sure of.

Will this allow me to ask the courts to look at my claim again?
    Should I contact the bank and see if they can push my case forward?

anyone got any sugestions as I really will be in deperate hardship in just over a weeks time!!

ALSO

Does anyone know if there are any other benefits available to me, or any Student finance.

Please help me if you know the answers or can help asasp as we still need to eat, My daughter will give me some of what she earns but I cannot expect her to hand over all of her wages.

Thanks
    Belville
    Education is a fine thing Just so long as you can afford to live whist studying!!

Re: Shooter V Lloyds *SUCCESS*

Have you been on Start Calculation
    to see if there are any benefits you would be able to get?

Student finance : Directgov - Education and learning

x

Good luck going back in to education is tough but worth it xxx
    Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
    Me VS Abbey Win
    BIL HSBC Credit Card
    BIL EGG
    BIL HSBC Loan
    BIL PPI Win

Comment

Thanks for your reply Mochamoo,

Yes I have been on that site but all it really tells me is that I can get 100% housing Benefit, As a full time student I am not entitled to Income support.

Yes going back into eduction is very hard especcially being the oldest in the class (even older that 1 of the Tutors) Nearest in age to me is 23 the rest are between 17 and 19.
      Last edited by shooter; 29th September 2009, 01:58:AM.
      Education is a fine thing Just so long as you can afford to live whist studying!!

Comment

There is somewhere on the forum an student/education bit... there might be more info in there x

You could try applying under hardship again as your circumstances have changed againx

My Hardship Claim
        Me VS Abbey Win
        BIL HSBC Credit Card
        BIL EGG
        BIL HSBC Loan
        BIL PPI Win

Comment

Mochamoo, Can't find the thread you mentioned.

Urgently need some sound advice/help as my Time/money is rapidly running out so thats why I'm bumping this

x

Comment

Hi shooter.

Did you look into whether you could apply for help from the Access to Learning Fund?

HERE

CJ

Comment

This is the bit I meant Education Finances - Legal Beagles just took me ages to find it....it hides quite well x

Will have a think see if I can think of any other financing ideas x

My Hardship Claim
              Me VS Abbey Win
              BIL HSBC Credit Card
              BIL EGG
              BIL HSBC Loan
              BIL PPI Win

Comment

Thanks for that Mochamoo.

Unfortunately there's nothing on there that could help me.

I'm beginnig to realise that whatever you do to try to help/improve yourself you are beeten back at every turn.

I'm not actually intending to support myself without an income, as has been sugested on another forum.

My intention is to get a part time job to support myself and my daughter will be giving me some money from what she earns. I don't want to sponge off anyone but am looking at finding any help that I am entitled to, to help me.

also on the other forum I have been given This advice

"I'd seriously consider leaving your course and starting a degree with the OU. You'll be able to claim all fees and study whilst claiming or alongside employment when you find it.

As a Careers Adviser, I personally wouldn't recommend your spending 2 years doing the course you've chosen, even if the money wasn't a problem."

It really does make me wonder if some people think that I am trying a cop out by going to college,

I know that my family (not my kids) will tell me to give up college and get myself a proper job, but with the way things are, without and education and qualifications I don't have a chance of getting any job esspecially as I don't have a traceable work hiostory for the past 5 years with is what most of the local supermarkets want.

Sorry for the essay but I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall.
                xx

Comment

As an aside does anyone have any sugestions as to any wording to get my claim against Lloyds re-instated under further hardship??

Comment

I've started studying again recently so I know how frustrating it can be, is there any way you could do it as a night course and keep plugging away at getting a part time job? How about becoming a cleaner those hours are normally part time?

For the meantime You could sign up to all the Mystery Shopper things Shas has posted up in the beagles money saving forum, you could sign up to deliver catalogues (not much money about 60 quid a week) sign up with Avon and get selling

Rant all you want... do not be deterred from improving yourself you are working at a better future for yourself and your daughter.

Have you reapplied for hardship? Reclaimed and CC charges?

My Hardship Claim
                    Me VS Abbey Win
                    BIL HSBC Credit Card
                    BIL EGG
                    BIL HSBC Loan
                    BIL PPI Win

Comment

Thank Mochamoo.
                      No I haven't reaplied Just thinking about that now but as LLoyds is by far the largest and they have put me on a very small repayment plan and stopped all charges till the outcome of the test case I'm not sure that I would get anywhere with that.

I am about to go to the job centre to find out some information and also to my housing association. they are always spouting about helping the residents to improve themselves that I thought I would ask them if there were any grants avialable from them.

Also going to try and get some help in filling out my DLA claim form cause if I can get that it will help somewhat to allieviate some financial worries.
                      xx

Comment

Ok so its been and eye opening and frustrating day

Ist I went to my HA office to find that it was shut for the day due to a staff conference.

Next I went to the jobcentre, here they informed me that everything is now done by phone, Ok so they lead me to a phone and tell me what buttons to press.

I was advised that I can apply for either JSA or Incap Benefit/ IS and given another number to call.

When asked which number to press to get through to call and I am told that BECAUSE its a freephone number I have to use a phone else where It cost a lot to use my mobile I tell them and they tell me to use a friend or neighbours phone or use a phone box.

AS IF I'm going to broadcast to my friends and family or even complete stranger my personal details and buisness.

So I will have to use my mobile.
                        I have tried Say No To 0870 but there are no alternative numbers.

As you can guess by this time I am completely frustrated.

I then decide to contact CTC, Wiwowed parents Benefit and Child Benefit to find out where I stand and what details they require.
                        All was going ok till I called Child Benefit and because I have told them of a possible change in circumstances in the next few weeks, they have now suspended all my benefits untill DD has an official start date for her apprenticeship which could well be a few weeks away and until the college can do their H&S inspection then she cannot start so wont be paid and we are going to have ZERO money EVEN though I am still entilted to it!!!!!

So all in all I have had an horendous day and now all I want to do is cry my eyes out.

So those that say honesty pays really don't know what they are talking about!

xx

Comment

<<<<Big hugs>>>> Put your feet up and have a cuppa tea.

Will see if I can get someone to move all this into a new thread for you, might get more people coming with advice if they don't think its a hardship success thread

My Hardship Claim
                          Me VS Abbey Win
                          BIL HSBC Credit Card
                          BIL EGG
                          BIL HSBC Loan
                          BIL PPI Win

Comment

I dont know what to say really - its obvious you are trying to the right thing and get some qualifications to get a better job and you are getting no help.And to stop your money how can they do that? Have you thought about your local CAB office ?

What makes me mad is i know someone at the moment who had a baby and has now "allegedly" split with her partner and is now to be given £800 towards renting a house a month - even though she could live at home and she works as well.As my daughter says it is more than she earns a month as she is on minimum wage - she said I might as well pop a baby out as well I would be better off!Hopefuly she wont!

I suppose its silly to ask ifyou can get hold of a supervisor at the CB office and Explain you have no money to live on- I think I know the answer as my sister has been through hell with them as well.

Hopefuly someone who can help you more will be along soon.
                            "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Re: Shooter- Student Finance

Hi Shooter, sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but I saw you mention filling in a DLA form. Is this because you care for your mother sometimes? If you help her you may be able to get help through DLA as a carer, but I'm not sure if that's only if the person with the disability lives with you or not.

Please can you clarify? If you need help filling in the DLA form please let me know as I did this for my son a while back, so may be able to offer some advice if needed.
                              Crash

DAY 1: 12/09 - S A R to British Gas
                              DAY 114: 03/01 Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

24 Days: E2Save Settled in full £70
                              59 Days: Barclaycard claim Settled in full £134.39

162 Days: Halifax Settled in full £1543.80
                              179 Days: Barclays1 Settled in full £2450.45 + £447.02 in costs
                              254 Days: Barclays 2 Settled in full £1450.91

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X