• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Over charged Student debt / un-diagnosed Learning Disability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over charged Student debt / un-diagnosed Learning Disability

I spent one semester at university from (17-SEP-2012). The university in question did not unenroll me until year two, semester one (13-OCT-2013). I assume that my no-show started this process but leaves me wondering why my no-show for semester 2 wasn't enough to unenroll me the year prior.

Student finance is billing me for one full year of tuition.

I struggled in primary and high school; A level dropout, but I managed to pull together a BTEC. University was too much of a challenge for me.
    I did not formally leave like a rational person would, I was ashamed and essentially disappeared from them.

11 years have passed since leaving university.
    I am now successful in my field so earnings are starting to rise. This means repayments are due.
    This year I was diagnosed as Dyslexic by an accredited assessor, paid for by myself at great cost.

This is where I start to feel miss-sold. Without the extra help and understanding, I don't believe I would have ever completed a degree. It's hard to explain, even prove just what a challenge it was for me at that time. I was never tested at any point in my life, nor were questions ever raised or recorded.

I fear the university will not willingly accept my explanation nor do I have proof to show when I left, other than a complete lack of attendance, exams and work submitted from the beginning of semester two, year one. Regardless of the leaning disability, I don't feel comfortable paying for tuition I never received. I accept I handled this whole situation poorly.

I was in receipt of some grant money and a student loan also.

Any advice will be greatly welcome, I face a positive future but with interest, my student debt is already cripplingly high.
    If I can seek to reduce this figure, down to one semester's fees only, then I am hopeful to pay it off to avoid any future interest.

sincerely.

Tags: None

Hi Lee

Welcome to LB

It's good to see that your disability hasn't stopped you being a success.

I think you need to write to the University and plead your case. Explain you've only found out.

Comment

Thanks for replying,

To my understanding, university fees are added 3x throughout the academic year you study.
      They are more than happy to charge me for 1 full year of tuition even though i only have a record of attendance for one semester. Essentially they are charging me for as much as they can.
      Student finance will not look at my case without written confirmation of change from the university.

What is the best way for me to convince the university, rather than send a blind poorly written email in the hopes I reach a sympathetic member of staff on shift that day?

Regards.

Comment

Choose the most suitable letter for you, add your illness, personal circumstances etc. Keep amending it until it reflects everything you want to say. Ask a family member / friend to read it. Include your medical evidence.

https://nationaldebtline.org/get-inf...ample-letters/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X