• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fine by school pre compulsory education age?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine by school pre compulsory education age?

I’ve received a fine for my child for non attendance at school.
    I believed she didn’t need to request approval for absence as she isn’t compulsory school age until September.
    i submitted the request to follow procedure not dreaming further action would be taken!
    A fine has arrived from the LA. She’s 5 since April meaning according to government guidelines she’s compulsory education from September.
    any advice on challenging this would be welcome xx
    am I missing something? Can we be fined before she reaches compulsory education age?
    Thank you for any advice xx

Tags: None

Education Act 1996 sec444 Offence: failure to secure regular attendance at school of registered pupil.
    (1)If a child of compulsory school age (my italics) who is a registered pupil at a school fails to attend regularly at the school, his parent is guilty of an offence. (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...56/section/444)

I would write back to the LEA reminding them of the actual wording of the relevant legislation.
    Also take the matter up with my local county council.

Comment

Thank you
      i think they are being very unfair.
      it may be an oversight on the admin team of that department.
      at first I was just going to pay, then I thought no! xx

Comment

How did you get on?

The start of compulsory schol age seens to be the first school term after the child turns 5 years old. Is that cancelled out uf you start a child at school earlier?

"Your child must start full-time education once they reach compulsory school age. This is on 31 December, 31 March or 31 August following their fifth birthday - whichever comes first. If your child's fifth birthday is on one of those dates then they reach compulsory school age on that date."

Comment

If the child had started school then was taken out I do not see why the fine would not apply.

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
            If the child had started school then was taken out I do not see why the fine would not apply.
            Can you point us to the legislation which applies to a child who has not yet reached compulsory school age?

Comment

It is interpretation I believe - " failure to secure regular attendance at school of registered pupil." = the child is registered. You cannot dip in and out of the system as far as I am aware - and rightly so. If the child had not started school there would be no issue. The wording works against the OPs argument not for it...

Comment

Just glad I no longer have children of compulsory school age (or younger) as I'm sure I'd be in contention with the relevant authorities

The actual offence is:
                "If a child of compulsory school age who is a registered pupil at a school fails to attend regularly at the school, his parent is guilty of an offence."

I hope you don't pick and choose what parts of sections of an act you apply when sitting as a mag.
                Last edited by des8; 12th July 2024, 08:04:AM.

Comment

Indeed I do not! However are you contending good sir that a child can start school, the school receive the appropriate funding and begin his/her education and the parents can then decide only to send them in only occasionally? That seems against the spirit of the legistlation to me. I do see however that you could use your viewpoint to oppose a fine...and I am sure you would (to be fair so would I...)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X