• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Full time equivalent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full time equivalent

Came across the following in a postgraduate degree rules and regulations booklet:

"Where monitoring indicates concerns about progression of the candidate, the University can apply a three-month period of probation (full-time equivalent)".

Assuming that part-time study for the same course is documented within the university particulars as being twice the duration as full-time study, does the inclusion of the phrase "full-time equivalent" mean that in the case of a full time student the probation would be 3 months, but in the case of a part-time student it would be 6 months?
    Tags: None

The obvious port of call is to ask the University concerned what it means.

The phrase seems inappropriate in the context in which it has been used, at least without clarification.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

they have been asked and their view is that it means full time and part time students would both have a 3 month period of probation. This doesn't make sense to me because if that's what they meant then the phrase "full-time equivalent" would have been excluded.

FTE in this sense is a unit to measure students in a way that makes them comparable given that they study a different number of hours per week and would be obtained by comparing the hours that a part time student is expected to study compared with the average number of hours that a full time student is expected to study. A full-time student would be counted as 1 FTE, while a part-time student (given they have twice the time to complete the degree) would be an FTE of 0.5.

Gievn the inclusion of "full-time equivalent" in the university's rules then the FTE unit is there to standardize a student's actual course load in comparison with the full time course load. Therefore the probation period for the part time student should be 6 months (not 3)

Given the above, if the university were to place a part time student on what is deemed to be a full time probation, presumably they would be violating the terms and conditions that the part time student signed up to?

Comment

That accords with my feeling that in this context the words should not have been used.

At the end of the day it is your university that makes and applies the rules, and not this forum. I doubt that you want to run a test case in Court over this.

Is the question hypothetical, or are you on probation and trying to argue for a longer period?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

this isn't hypothetical it's a real situation, the university are adamant that both FT and PT would be placed on a 3 month period of probation based on their rule quoted. My view is that if that's what the author of the rule intended then the phrase "full-time equivalent" would have been excluded. Those enforcing the rules it appears did not write them.
          Last edited by TopCat1; 10th May 2022, 14:15:PM. Reason: typo

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X