• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

University failing in their duty of care to students with mental health issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University failing in their duty of care to students with mental health issues

NB. Everything here is based on what my son has told me and he has proven unreliable to date

My son has just been kicked off his course for not upholding the terms of an academic warning, that he swears he has done everything and I am mad about it and want to sue the bastards for the £18+k in tuition and all the other debt etc

The timeline is
    Year 1 poor attendance (he has depression for FFS) and a meltdown in an end of year exam got him kicked out at the end of year 1, which he successfully appealed but was made to retake year 1 again. We found the kick out letter later in his room while tidying and he swore that it was all a clerical mistake. His course work he swears was all 2:2 /2:1 and it was just the 1 final exam and that let him down. He thought he could resit the exam while the appeals process was on and turned up for it, but was refused admittance as he had officially been kicked out.

This year his attendance was again poor and he got a warning back in December that he must improve his attendance and should really consider leaving of his own accord. He got a final warning in March - that he says he has complied with but today we got a letter telling him he had been kicked out.

Assuming he is correct in that his academic work has been on time and to a reasonable standard and that he fails in appealing the current decision, do we have any case against them?

Is there a lawyer in the Keele area or has experience of dealing with these cases. I would like at least 1 year of tuition back as it seems to me that refusing to allow him retake an exam while an appeals process was underway that he was successful in, has robbed him of a year and £9250.
    Last edited by EwanHusarmee; 24th April 2019, 18:13:PM. Reason: Grammar police
    Tags: None

On further probing he probably failed to make an appointment with his tutor to discuss the final warning in time, which was one of the conditions of the final warning

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X