• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Financial - making me so anxious!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Financial - making me so anxious!

I hope you can help me!

I have had many calls this past month (unanswered) from Cabot. They have also sent me an email with a settlement offer of £900. I was only given a few days to accept the offer. The original debt was for just over £3000 and my last payment or acknowledgement on the account was 30/09/14. Exactly 6 years at the end of next month.

The debt relates to a Tesco credit card. I had 3 credit cards, Virgin, Barclays and Tesco to pay my way through a long and messy divorce that went on for 3 years.

I lost my home in the divorce as my ex husband earned in excess of £70k a year, and I couldn't afford the mortgage criteria on my wage alone.

We had only purchased in 2010 so there was no equity.

At the time I was a working single Mom, but able to pay the crefit cards. I then had an unfortunate accident that left me permanently disabled.

I lost my job (I had just been promoted!). I was medically retired and told I will never work again. I hadn't been at the new company long enough for any payoff.

So suddenly, I was a single parent on disability benefit and I couldn't pay the credit cards.

Anxiety, embarrassment and pride stopped me calling them to explain. Then pain/opiate medications etc prevented me being able to handle my own financial affairs for a long while. My oldest Son started to look after my direct debits and make sure my benefits paid essential bills etc. He was only 17.
    I still feel embarrassed that it came to that.

Although Cabot have emailed and offered me a settlement of £900 down from just over £3000, I cannot afford it and haven't acknowledged the email.

I am on disability benefit. The housing element of my benefits is £260 short of my actual rent, so much of my benefit pays for my rented bungalow! I have next to nothing for food after my bills. My sons are now independent.

Are Cabot likely to make this a CCJ with only a month to go before the 6 years are up, do you think? Is there time for them to do that? Particularly given the current global situation?

I feel sick with worry and haven't really slept since the email a couple of days ago.

Also, the other credit cards that have already come off my credit file, (no defaults showing for them) are:
    Just over £5000 - Virgin Money (February 2014 was last payment)
    Just over £8000 - Barclaycard
    (April 2014 was last payment)

Will these now be statute barred? Or will they be able to make these become CCJ's?

I have no realistic way of ever paying these debts off. My mental health is really suffering as since the Cabot phone calls started last month, I'm on edge all the time. I use a wheelchair, when the door knocks, I freeze. All my curtains are drawn so no-one can see in. It's ridiculous :/

Please can you help advise me asap?

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X