• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim for an old mobile phone debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim for an old mobile phone debt

Hello,

My parents urgently gave me a couple of letters from an old address and 3 recent letters and a claim form dating from the 26th June 2018.
    This is in regards to an old mobile phone contract from Orange dates from Dec 2011. I stupidly believed that I had paid off part of this contract in late 2012/ early 2013 since I was then recently unemployed however this old debt has caught up with me.

I have no papers regarding my original contract with Orange and only a few warning letter from Lowell including the claim form. The dept is: £482.95 including court and legal representative fees.

Issue Date: 26th july 2018
    Amount approx: £397.95 amount claimed
    Claimaint: Lowell portfolio I ltd
    Solicitor: Cohen Cramer solicitors
    Original Creditor: Orange
    Particulars of Claim:
    The claim is for the sum of £368.47 due by Defendant under Orange account with an account reference of XXXXXX
    The defendant failed to maintain the contractual payments required under the terms of the account agreement.
    The debt was legally assigned to the claimant on 27/Aug/2014 notice of which has been given to the defendant.
    The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £29.48
    The Claimant claims the sum of £397.95

Is the debt Statute Barred?- I do not know since I don't know when the debt started.

List any letters you have sent:
    none

Any Other Info: Since I have no information on the original contract I don't have much to add. Although the amount claimed may seem low I highly dispute that I owe even that much I remember contacting Orange via telephone in late 2012 in regards to my difficulty paying monthly bills in the coming months, they said I would have to pay the full amount of the remaining contract over time. I continued paying the monthly bills for a couple of months until I could not longer pay. My correspondence with Orange stops here and I receive no letters or phone calls from them. The letters from Lowell offer no insight into the dept other then the date of the contract with Orange (8th Dec 2011) and the amount claimed. I would be foolish to assume I owe no debt here but since the details are so thin and the amount seems inflated I am not sure how to proceed.

Due to my lack of knowledge of this account I'm not sure whether to acknowledge the claim yet or wait until I send a CCA and CPR to Lowell and the solicitors. Since the Claim form dates from the 26th June I should have a bit of time to get a clearer picture of what I owe but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X