• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Silverback Law court and ccj

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silverback Law court and ccj

Hi,

I am new on here and hoping someone might be able to give me some advice. I have a debt that has been passed to Silverback Law to deal with and I received a ccj court form from them earlier in spring which I defended on the basis that the charges being added were not fair.

i should have dealt with this much sooner, but took advice as the court case for this is now looming within the next few days, and was told that I should write to them and offer to settle out of court in monthly instalments by way of a consent order to avoid a CCJ as my advisor thinks it is likely that they will win.

The came back and said that their client accepts the offer to pay this way, but that the legal costs would need to be added to it to agree to this. They claim that over and above court costs, these legal costs are £1200 on a debt that was originally £1500.00.

i have been looking online and wrote back to them saying these costs are highly disproportionate and that after taking advice, I have been told that parties are liable for their own legal costs in the small claims track regardless of winning or losing.

They say that this is incorrect as I have behaved unreasonably by defending without much hope of winning, and that they are entitled to claim all costs on behalf of their client if I want them to agree to a consent order. If I do let it go to court then the will claim these costs anyway.

i would be so grateful if someone could confirm if this is the case. Should I agree to pay these costs to avoid the case going any further in court? If I do, they have agreed that I can pay off this debt by monthly instalments.

thank you in advance for your help.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X