• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

ate the sandwich and did not pay tesco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ate the sandwich and did not pay tesco

ah yes the friend of a friend story.....told as it supposedly happened
    without doubt a moment of madness brought on by some family troubles my mind was not thinking straight-
    but i appreciate that this is no excuse.
    during a shopping trip in tesco i grabbed some sandwich's and general food shopping but whilst
    shopping i ate the sandwichs and disposed of the empty pkg,
    i then went to pay for the rest of my shopping saw a massive queue and just left the trolley
    went out to the car park and was then grabbed back!
    For a split second i forgot what i had done.. but they took me to an office showed me the empty wrappers and took my correct name and address , banned me from the store and told me to expect a civil recovery letter..
    the most stupid mistake i have ever made.. foolish beyond words..
    what should i expect now?
    Tags: None

Re: ate the sandwich and did not pay tesco

You ate a sandwich from Tesco and you're still alive? Only joking.

Did they ask you to pay for the sandwich? If they did, they are not really entitled to anything more than the retail price of the sandwich. RLP may bang the drum loudly, make threats and try and coerce you into paying some fatuous faux claim, but in all honesty, RLP cannot seem to get their heads around the fact they lost a court case at Oxford last year which brought the premise, veracity and legality under which retail civil recovery operates into question.

Did they call the police at all and did the police attend? How long were you detained?

Also, be aware that RLP monitor the LB forums.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

we ll he said they kept him for a few mins - took his details from his DL showed him the empty wrappers they took back from the shelf and told him they had it all on cctv and he would he be getting a civil recovery notice/letter.
      he offered to pay but to be fair was in a bit of a state of shock from his family issue and i assume from being caught.
      so what do u think?
      THANK U:tinysmile_cry_t:
      ps no police were called , whole matter was over in 5/10 mins.
      thanks again.
      Last edited by GOONERLAND; 8th August 2013, 17:48:PM.

Comment

The impression I get from this is that Tesco are taking the law into their own hands. Not a clever thing to do. Are you being prescribed medication by your GP at present?

Even with the best will in the world, it is going to be difficult for Tesco and RLP to establish dishonesty in your case. RLP tend to rubbish the Ghosh Test and claim it doesn't apply, yet they claimed there was "a question as to dishonesty" in the case they lost at Oxford in 2012. The way to establish dishonesty is by using the Ghosh Test. RLP can't have it both ways.

At the very most, Tesco are only entitled to the retail price of the sandwiches and no more. The fact they did not call the police is not going to help their case. Any allegations RLP make, put them to strict proof.

Come back onto this thread when and if RLP send you one of their fatuous claim letters.

Comment

many thanks will keep him posted.

Comment

Man-eating sandwiches in Tesco?

I'll go to Lidl instead, then!

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
              Man-eating sandwiches in Tesco?

I'll go to Lidl instead, then!

A new flavour - Necrotising Fasciitis. That'll be a first for Tesco. :grin:

Comment

just got a call from my pal- got the RLP letter today asking for just under£100
                no specifics just a generic letter saying the actual loss is nearer £3-£400 but they will accept the above amount.
                usual form attached telling how to pay etc..
                now the dilemma is does he challenge it or pay up.. would it antagonise them if he asked for what evidence they have cctv etc..
                i had 2 weeks of my pal bending my ear so now i feel like giving him the money to pay ! However i can see his point -
                any help much appreciated

Comment

Their claim is - at best - fanciful and imaginative.The only losses that can be directly ascribed to the actions of the hungry masochist who ate the sandwich, would be the cost of the aforesaid "food" and its packaging.The cost of employing a security goon would have been exactly the same had chummie assuaged his hunger in some other way, so are costs to the business. So are the costs of employing other staff, or installing and using CCTV equipment.

Comment

Thank you any more helpful information or suggestions on next course of action would be helpful
                    they have given him 14 days to respond.what happens if he ignores it? pERSONALLY I DON'T THINK THESE THINGS EVER GO AWAY-
                    I remember reading he should ask them what evidence they have ? or something like that??

Comment

At present, I am using a slow BT connection and a browser I detest because I cannot download better software in less than two hours!
                      I'd get better results with an old fashioned modem... or two rusty tin cans and a length of soggy string!

I should have sorted out my new computer by tomorrow so will respond at greater length then.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        I am using a slow BT connection . . .

I should have sorted out my new computer by tomorrow so will respond at greater length then.

Comment

Originally posted by GOONERLAND View Post
                          Thank you any more helpful information or suggestions on next course of action would be helpful
                          they have given him 14 days to respond.what happens if he ignores it? pERSONALLY I DON'T THINK THESE THINGS EVER GO AWAY-
                          I remember reading he should ask them what evidence they have ? or something like that??
                          Whatever evidence they may or may not have is irrelevant, as their claim is far more than any real, genuine and quantifiable losses sustained by the store. Read the Approved Judgement in the Oxford case - attached - and you'll see what I mean.
                          Attached Files

Comment

thanks for that info we read the judgement-
                            so they did proceed to court and despite loosing this case they do claim to have won most others,
                            does any one have experience of this firm? he still has about 10 days to reply??
                            THANKS

Comment

The thing is, most are not defended, so they get judgment by default. Read how many were defended and you'll get a very different picture.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X