• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Anxiously Waiting … CRS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxiously Waiting … CRS?

Hi all,

Just a little insight to start with. About a month or so I was caught shoplifting from a well known store. No police were called. I was permanently banned and given a notice to expect a CRS letter. Security was nice, told me i wouldn’t get a criminal conviction when enquired and gave the impression they didn’t know me.

However…

It’s been 4 weeks and I’ve heard nothing since. Honestly I’d be lying if I said I just want to get the letter pay it up and move past it however there have been instances where I have previously taken from the store in the past. I haven’t used my card in the store so the only way I believe they could identify me would be going through past CCTV or if they know me… Another store’s merchandise was also retrieved when I was reprimanded. They just took the items but I didn’t receive a formal ban from that store.

The reason I’m rather worried is because of how long it’s taking for this letter to arrive when from what I can tell after looking at these threads, typical scenarios see that they arrive in 2 weeks or 3 weeks most?

My questions are as follows:
    Is 4 weeks still a typical time frame for a CRS to arrive?
    Is there a chance they’re collating data on past events and pursuing this further?
    If it is pursued further, is it a matter of being taken to court?
    Since no police were called, should I expect anything on my criminal record?

I apologise if I seem like I’m reaching, but these are real concerns that are hijacking my brain all the time. I start uni very soon and am so anxious that my life’s about to derail at any moment… Thanks in advance…
    Tags: None

Hi Anxiouscat

Welcome to LB

You've not stated the value, regardless, what they send out is a speculative invoice.
    All the costs incurred i.e. security etc are covered in their business plan, so it's budgeted for.
    They don't provide a breakdown of costs. If you feel stressed see your Doctor.
    You will get several letters, but unless you get a Letter Before Action you need not respond.

Update the thread if you get anything meaningful.
    When you think about it, do something you enjoy, listen to music etc.

Comment

Stop worrying. Posters here report more than 4 weeks quite often. It was peak holiday season a month ago - the CRS letter issuers are away on their hols!

Anyway as we advise to ignore their letters why be in rush to get one just so that you can file it away and ignore it?

The likelihood of them trawling back through months of CCTV on the off chance they can find an image of you stealing is virtually zero. They have better ways to use their time.

Neither the store nor a so-called civil recovery company can give you a criminal record nor can they access the police criminal records system. You could only get a criminal record if the police arrested you AND they decided to prosecute you AND you were convicted in a Magistrates court.

Ignore anything you receive unless it is a formal "Letter of Claim under the Pre-action Protocols" [aka 'Letter Before Action'] or comes from the courts themselves.
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

I hadn’t even thought of the fact they’d be on holiday, that makes sense! Thanks for the insight. The fact that many people ignore them is reassuring in and of itself. I suppose I’ll come to the decision of what to do when it arrives…

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X