• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RLP - The Range - letter received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLP - The Range - letter received

Hi,

I’m wondering if some help can be provided?

My sister was shopping in The Range earlier last month, she had 3 children with her (newborn and two toddlers). Upon leaving the store and paying for over £100 in goods, she forgot to pay for a £12 light bulb which was in the bottom of the pram. After packing the car up with the items she already paid for, she walked back to the store and as she entered a security guard pulled and ragged her arm and pulled her aside, even with her children watching and crying.

As she went in to pay for the item that was forgotten, the security guard snatched it out of her hand and said that she can’t pay and her details are required otherwise the police would be called. Reluctantly she provided her details due to the intimidation tactics used and has since received a letter from RLP requiring a payment of £175.00.

I’ve read the forums regarding the letter she has received which appears to be a standard initial letter that is sent out. I couldn’t see any update on the forum as to whether RLP do actually pursue such cases if the letter was ignored. I was thinking of contacting the CEO of the Range as well as their customer services to describe the situation and the general background. Not only is my sister a single mother of 3 who genuinely forgot to pay for an item, she is a paramedic and concerned this would affect her career, although there was no police involvement and as such no criminal proceedings have been taken.

Could I get people’s views on this? The forum suggests to ignore the letters.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

As far as I'm aware, RLP haven't pursued a court case in such circumstances since they lost a test case in 2012 (and lied about it).

RLP and the Oxford test case: The truth and the lies - LegalBeagles Forum

Do not respond to any letters from them ever (or contact The Range) and your sister can sleep easy.

Comment

A terrible experience, trying to do the right thing, confronted with a 'stupid' security guard.

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such, explain what happened (you tried to do the right thing), effect the experience has had on you (caused you stress etc) and what you want them to do (apology etc). The Complaint will be picked up by his Executive Team, if he has one.

Email it to:

Alex Simpkin
      Chief Executive Officer
      The Range
      asimpkin@therange.co.uk

Comment

I would respectively disagree with echat11 over writing to the Range.

These companies tend to side with their security goons so it is pointless.

If RLP are ignored they eventually give up
        They write three or four letters, which sound threatening but are full of "ifs", "buts" and maybes", and sometimes instruct toothless debt collectors.
        All of these nonsense letters can be ignored.

If your sister becomes concerned or worried come back here

Comment

Ask for CCTV security footage that will show your sister walking back in with the light-bulbs.

Yes, you could do nothing more, but 'security guards' will be embolden by getting away with it.
          It will look good on their 'stats', they caught someone, when in reality they didn't.

Email the following to The Range -

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X