• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Accused and worried

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accused and worried

This weekend I was stopped in a high street shop and my bag was searched after setting off an alarm. An item was found in my bag and I genuinely have no idea how it got in there - I was browsing while waiting for a friend and assume that when I went to put it back on the shelf it fell into the open shopping bag but I honestly don’t know what happened. The security people took me off the shop floor and asked me what happened while the store manager checked cctv. I didn’t really know what to say but assumed the cctv would show it was an accident. The store manager said it was clear it was in my hand one minute then not in the next and that it was intentional theft. I was upset and aware that it sounded like a lot of nonsense saying I didn’t know what had happened. They took my address from my driving licence and told me to expect a letter for a claim. Then told me I was banned for a year and my photo from the bodycam would be circulated on some sort of list for shops in the area.

I have never been in any kind of legal trouble and have never stolen anything! I am reassured by reading this forum that if I ignore this claim nothing will happen - but I have a good job and a mortgage and would be devastated if I ended up with a court claim. Is there any possibility the retailer could pursue this? And if so how can I go about illustrating I had no intent to steal anything? I don’t want to pay any fine in principal as I know I did nothing wrong - but I am worried that the cctv is clearly ambiguous. Also I’m mortified at the idea of being on some sort of offenders list - this is really stressing me out and I feel frustrated to be accused of this. Thank you in advance for your help.
    Tags: None

Hi Flickflock

Welcome to LB

Try not to worry. You will receive speculate invoices, not one, not two but at least three. They have no breakdown of any costs, simply because these costs are built into their business model, i.e. security etc. They have suffered no 'loss', simply because the product was recovered, ready to sell. There are no costs, so they send these letters hoping people pay up regardless. Even if you went back to the store tomorrow, 2 things could happen, they might identify you and ask you to leave or you will do your shopping, nothing more then that. Stay away for a number of months might be the best option.

Just carry on with your day to day life.

Comment

Thank you. I’m so upset by this situation but also pretty angry! I really don’t want to pay any fine so am trying to allay my anxiety as much as possible so I can react calmly when I get the letters. Every so often it pops into my mind and I get so stressed out by the whole thing. This forum has been so great as I would definitely have just paid the fine to get the whole horrible thing out the wey

Comment

Every time you get a letter, just update the thread, we can reassure you if needed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X