• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught stealing as a minor.. advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught stealing as a minor.. advice please

I know this is bad and i feel so much guilt about it but I was caught stealing the other day from a UK retail store. Security caught me and took my name, address and a photograph of me. I am under 18 so they said they would not get police involved and would not get involved with my parents either. Was just wondering if they would be sending a letter regarding a fine as they did not state that would happen but after reading stuff online i'm worried i'm going to have to pay like £400 from a place called RLP? I am also concerned whether my name would be in some kind of system now that's going to haunt me for life- like stopping me from getting a job, I feel really ashamed and now im really anxious of the consequences.
    Tags: None

Hi Rachel

Welcome to LB.

You may receive several speculative invoices, do not pay them. Try not to worry, nothing is going to happen. It won't 'haunt' you for the rest of life, unless you keep thinking about it, then it will. If anything happens, update the thread.

Comment

Thank you for the advice! do you know if these letters would have a specific kind of envelope? If they would have a logo on or anything? Also why should i not pay? Would this not get me into trouble

Comment

Originally posted by rachelbottom View Post
        Thank you for the advice! do you know if these letters would have a specific kind of envelope? If they would have a logo on or anything? Also why should i not pay? Would this not get me into trouble
        a) do you know if these letters would have a specific kind of envelope?

It depends on who the retailer is and which recovery agent they use, RPL, DWF etc.There won't be that much detail that causes issues for you.

b) If they would have a logo on or anything?

Maybe the letters in the case of DWF.

c) Also why should i not pay?

Because they have not lost any product, they can not breakdown their costs in their speculative invoice, any real costs are factored into their business model

d) Would this not get me into trouble

No.

Comment

If you are to receive a letter from a civil recovery company the envelope will quite likely bear the company log
          Might be able to tell you more if we knew the name of the retailer.

As you are under 18 and living at home I would suggest you consider telling your parents about the incident.
          I realise this will not be easy for you, but after their initial shocked reaction I would hope they would support you.

If you have to keep it a secret until you are sure no letters will come, or have to hide letters from your parents, you might find
          the situation very stressful

Which ever way it goes, good luck

Comment

Thank you for the response, The store chain was Boots, the items was just some makeup like mascara and lipgloss. Unfortunately I am unable to tell people at home as my father is quite aggressive and I know it wouldn’t go down well with him. They did say they weren’t getting involved with the police or my parents and all the items were returned it good condition so they could easily be sold on , so that makes me wonder if they would even send one. Do you happen to know how long it would take for one of these letters to arrive?

Comment

Boots use RLP (Retail Loss Prevention)
              Generally the first letter seems to arrive 2 to 3 weeks later.
              I understand the envelope either has Retail Loss Prevention written on it in small letters, or RLP
              They continue to chase for approx 9 months, and sometimes also involve debt collectors (who will write letters)

I understand why you would rather your parents did not find out, but it is possible that RLP will write to your parents when you ignore their letters.
              They shouldn't, but they apply pressure where ever to obtain payment.

If your parents do find out I hope they would support you.
              After all it was not the crime of the century.
              If necessary you could point them to this thread, and others on LB, as although we do not condone theft, neither do we condone vigilantes dishing out their own form of punishment as some perverted form of justice.

Comment

thank you . So you think it’s likely that they will send a letter then? even though they did not state this to me at the time ?

Comment

It will depend on the action of the security man at that store.

If he has taken pity on you and can't be bothered with doing the paperwork, he might just put the file in the waste paper basket

You can but wait and see

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X