• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sainsbury’s DWF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sainsbury’s DWF

Hi,
    I committed a terrible error and was caught stealing. It was the first time I have been caught, but I have taken some small things from there before. They referred to me as a ‘repeat offender’, and I assume it is because I have stolen before (and I wonder if they have CCTV evidence). I returned the item I took, it was some hot food and so I don’t know if in COVID times they would resell this product. I was let go, no police, and my DOB, address and name was taken. So I am expecting a DWF letter. Do the facts of my incident mean I should pay DWF, as I can’t return the items from previous occasions and unsure of the item when I was caught (but I didn’t take it), + potential CCTV. The total of what I took can’t add up to much, probably not £20. Please help me with this, I feel terrible
    Tags: None

Hi GARZHA

What ever letter they send, just ignore the letter, you might get 3 / 4, designed to intimidate you.

If you qualify, then go to a 'food bank', they can help with food.

Comment

Even though I’ve taken before, and thus cannot return, do I not owe them the amount for those products, and therefore give them the possibility to enforce their threats?

Comment

Originally posted by garzha View Post
        Even though I’ve taken before, and thus cannot return, do I not owe them the amount for those products, and therefore give them the possibility to enforce their threats?
        Yes even because you can't return. In the world of Sainsbury's £20 is negligible, the police weren't called. Even if you paid the £20, they would send a speculative invoice for many times that amount, which they couldn't justify.

Comment

Okay, thank you so much. If, more like when, I receive a letter, could I trouble you for some help? I’m hopeful it’ll be as simple as ‘ignore’.

Comment

Okay, thank you so much. If, more like when, I receive a letter, could I trouble you for some help? I’m hopeful it’ll be as simple as ‘ignore’ but just in case

Comment

If you get any letters, update the thread.

Comment

You owe DWF nothing if you want to clear your conscience put the money you would have paid in a charity pot and get help if you feel that you will do it again

Comment

Thanks, I’m going to change my life because of this experience. Do you know when DWF letters usually appear? I keep worrying that I’m going to receive some sort of court letter but from your advice this just seems like anxiety

Comment

Would you say that as I was let go in the shop it is unlikely they would go beyond just handing my case to DWF? Do they retrospectively get courts involved? Or as I was let go, and no police, the only repercussion I will face, apart from ban and shame, is the DWF letters?

Comment

Really can't add any more, they might send you letters, other then that, anything else is remote.

The more you think about it, the more your mind will race away thinking all sorts of things.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X