• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need Help & Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help & Advice

I need someone to talk too. I am a buisness owner and shop in my local Waitrose regularly. A week ago I shopped as normal. I used the check out (not self service) I put my shopping in my bag and proceeded to leave the store. I was stopped by the security guard who asked to see my receipt and to empty my shopping bag. I asked him why and he said we believe you haven't paid for all your shopping. I was mortified as I know the staff well. There was one thing in my bag not paid for. The manager and another lady came out and the store detective said she has paid for all her shopping apart from this (one thing value £10) I apologised for the oversight and offered to pay. The manager refused and said I was now banned from shopping in all Waitrose & John Lewis Stores. No police were involved and they did not ask for my address or DOB just my name and issued me with a banning notice. I left feeling sick and embarrassed and I am having trouble sleeping and concentrating ever since. I am terrified that the police will come to my buisness or that a member of Waitrose staff will report it to the local newspaper. I have never stolen anything in my life and keep going over it time and time again in my head asking how this could have happened. I have a lot of stress in my personal life including losing my father during lockdown and buisness worries. I'm am just so scared and feel my mental health is suffering. I do not know who to turn to. Thank you for reading in advance
    Tags: None

Oh dear, unfortunately a momentary lack of concentration can have unwanted consequences, but it happens in all sorts of situation (just think of driving) so don't beat yourself up over it.

Most unlikely the police will be involved as they were not called at the time.

No staff member would make such a report to the local paper, and if they do the paper would never print it.

You might receive a demand from a civil recovery company (I think Waitrose use Retail Loss Prevention [RLP]).
    They will tell you you have cost their client £x amount in dealing with this alleged theft attempt, and use legal language in veiled attempt to part you from your cash.
    Just ignore them and do not contact them in anyway at all.
    There is no legal standing for their claim, and after a few letters they give up.

Just avoid Waitrose for a while, and get on with your life

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply it has helped to ease my worries and anxiety. I have felt so dreadful over the last week. I will not be using Waitrose for my shopping in the future as I am truly mortified by what happened. I will ignore any letters if I receive them regarding payment. I have read the threads on here regarding such letters. Hopefully, as they did not ask for my address or DOB they will not be contacting me. However, they would have these details on my loyalty card. Thank you once again and I will now try to put this ordeal behind me.

Comment

So what you are saying is that the check out operator failed to scan one of the items that you put on the belt for scanning?

Comment

Hi Ostell I can't really remember it's all a blur. All I know is that all my other shopping was scanned and paid for at the check out apart from this one item. I keep going over it in my head. All I know it was either an oversight by the cashier or by me. At the end of the day it was not paid for and I'm truly mortified. In future I will check everything I purchase is scanned before I pay.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X