• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shoplifting M&S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifting M&S

Hi,
    I got caught shoplifting for the first time the other week. I had exited the shop and was brought in by a plain clothed security guard. He sat me in a room, made me sign a form stating I wouldn’t come back to M&S and would be contacted to collect fees. He said that he had phoned the police. They burned a CD of the CCTV with me on it. After being in the room for over an hour, the police hadn’t turned up and he let me go. I didn’t pay for the items and didn’t have to give proof of address or ID. He didn’t photograph me.
    Will this be on my police record even though the police didn’t attend? He had my name, address and DOB. I’m not sure if he told the police those details or not.
    Tags: None

If the police did not attend, there will be no police record, and unlikely they will contact you.

If you receive a demand from some third party "to cover their costs" just ignore it.
    They lost nothing, they incurred no extra quantifiable costs as the staff were only doing their job for which they are paid.
    There will be a series of legal sounding letters, which you may file without response.
    Eventually they stop

Comment

Hello, had letter from police today asking for me to contact them to arrange an interview regarding the theft, didn’t say if it was voluntary or not, not sure what to do?

Comment

Do not ignore!
        Either instruct a solicitor to accompany you to the interview, or tell the police you want the duty solicitor to attend.
        This is your right and will not cost you.

You are not being invited in for a chat over a cuppa.
        If the police tell you it's nothing to worry about, just remember in this instance they are not your friends.

On the basis this was a low value attempted theft, and you do not have a record, you may be offered some form of community resolution, but a solicitor will explain the implications to you

Good luck

Comment

more like a recorded caution - they have been doing that for decades.

Comment

Hello LanieMae, I hate to ask but what was the outcome of your police interview? I find myself in a similar situation as yourself, I haven't had the police contact me yet but petrified it will happen. Thank you!

Comment

Don't be petrified, be prepared.
              Do not attend without a solicitor

Comment

Can someone help me? I have been caught taking goods/shopping from M&S for £113.00 I am not proud of what I did and sure am paying for the outcome of my actions mentally :-( they checked my bags totalled up the goods and asked whether I wanted to pay, which I did. I did ask the undercover security guard ( who M&S employ like an agency )
                If we could speak privately as being shamed in-front of other people was horrific enough, he said he could do but the police would be called. I said no it’s fine. He took a picture off me and took a picture off my driving license. After paying for the goods he said a letter would follow and I was able to go but I was banned from all M&S stores for life. This happened on New Year’s Day and I’ve not been able to sleep thinking of any outcome that may happen. Also I’m scared that some of the mums who work at M&S will see my picture and gossip will happen about me.

please help I’m driving myself mad *♀️

Comment

Sorry New Years Eve it happened :-(

Comment

Forget it. If you get a letter asking for some money to cover their losses then ignore that as well. they have lost nothing. You paid for the goods.

They could also have problem if the make your picture viewable by other people.

Comment

ostell thank you I really appreciate your posts! I have read some off you comments regarding Lucy’s post.
                      I was going to say I paid for the goods so what losses :-) he never mentioned though about the letter asking for money, I’m sure he said it was stating what had happened but on the other hand he said he doesn’t see the letter so wasn’t sure. I just can’t bring myself to tell my husband so a little worried about the letter, I did read about an apology letter which I was thinking off doing but maybe it’s too early for that. :-)

Comment

Also murderers get a lesser sentence than a ban for life!!

Comment

Don't communicate with them.

Tell your husband but get him his favourite drink first

Comment

hello well today i went to primark as a single mum i took my 4 children with me youngest decided to walk and me and the children placed various items on the stroller...later on my children took turns taking their coats off saying they were hot...at one point i rememver being by the lifts catching my daughters coat and pushing it back on top of the stroller anyway we continued shopping and went to the tills...i picked up items and paid on the way out the secruity guard askws us to follow him in to a little room...saying you have items you didnt pay for i was like oh and took out my reciept which to he replied i saw you hide them under the coat on the pram i answered with no i fixed my daughters coat which was falling anyway this proceeded to him wanting to check the pram and i removed all 4 coats there was couple of items that were at the bottom...i offered to pay and he said no you cannot pay left the room and came back with a RPL letter askes for my id and took down name address and dob...and said you will be fined you are free to go....i am already declared bankrupt due to abusive ex husband and this was a honest mistake...he said as we left i would of got the police involved but you have kids with you....i am concerned about the invoices i can see everyone says dont pay..however what if they do take it further?

Comment

Originally posted by sam781 View Post
                              hello well today i went to primark as a single mum i took my 4 children with me youngest decided to walk and me and the children placed various items on the stroller...later on my children took turns taking their coats off saying they were hot...at one point i rememver being by the lifts catching my daughters coat and pushing it back on top of the stroller anyway we continued shopping and went to the tills...i picked up items and paid on the way out the secruity guard askws us to follow him in to a little room...saying you have items you didnt pay for i was like oh and took out my reciept which to he replied i saw you hide them under the coat on the pram i answered with no i fixed my daughters coat which was falling anyway this proceeded to him wanting to check the pram and i removed all 4 coats there was couple of items that were at the bottom...i offered to pay and he said no you cannot pay left the room and came back with a RPL letter askes for my id and took down name address and dob...and said you will be fined you are free to go....i am already declared bankrupt due to abusive ex husband and this was a honest mistake...he said as we left i would of got the police involved but you have kids with you....i am concerned about the invoices i can see everyone says dont pay..however what if they do take it further?
                              Hi Sam781

You should really start your own thread. Try not to worry, you might be sent invoices from RPL, just file them away, but don't pay them. They are purely speculative in hope more then anything else. Write a Formal Letter of Complaint to Primark regards the over 'zealous' reaction from the security guard to an honest mistake. How you manage to navigate a buggy with 4 children through a store, I wouldn't be able to do it. Having to keep a constant eye on them.

Email it to:

Paul Marchant
                              Chief Executive
                              Primark
                              pmarchant@primark.ie

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X