• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Long time ago stupidity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long time ago stupidity

Hi,

A long time ago in 2005/2006 I made the stupid mistake of pinching a couple of items, likely under £15, value from a Morrisons in Scotland. I was caught, very ashamed and gave details to the security. No Police were called but I was contacted weeks later by RLP in Nottingham. As I was ashamed, I paid.

Now, almost 14 years on I have been offered a job in NHS which requires a PVG check. I had actually forgotten the incidemt in question till I discovered I had to complete this. My last 'Enhanced Disclosure' check was in 2009 pre PVG, again for NHS.

I am beside myself that this will show and am feeling anxious. Can anyone confirm if this will be picked up by PVG please?

thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

An enhanced disclosure check is criminal based. As you said that no police were called and you've not been convicted or cautioned etc. then it shouldn't show up. Your payment to RLP was essentially an invoice.

Just double checked, but I believe the information being vetted in terms of non-criminal information is confined to information police may hold on their system.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi ROB,

Thankyou for your response. Can you clarify your second paragraph please, as don't really understand it? Is it essentially still in the balance that it may come up?

regards,

Comment

As far as I understand from reading the enhanced disclosure check for the purposes of PVG, the information being vetted consists of criminal convictions and other non-conviction related information held on the police database e.g. cautions, complaints or similar.

How can the police hold information about an alleged theft if they weren't called or at the very least attended the incident? The simple answer is they can't or won't know anything about it.

Hope that clarifies your question.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thankyou ROB, that does give me more clarity.

kind regards.

Comment

Just an after thought, if I recall RLP do say in their communications that they will retain your information for X period of time in case employers or police may wsh to make inquiries. I think unless RLP have some kind of relationship with the police, it's unlikely that the information will be recorded so you should be in the clear.

Personally, I think retaining that information under data protection laws is questionable because they did not obtain your personal data for that specific purpose, but that's an issue for another day.
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

[QUOTE=R0b;n1494342] unless RLP have some kind of relationship with the police,"unquote]

I recall that their relationship with the police was rather fraught as witnessed by the following:

RLP claimed "we have established operating procedures for Civil Recovery and agreed guidelines with the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) and Association of Chief Police Officers Scotland (ACPOS)”.

In October 2010, the assistant chief constable who leads on retail crime for ACPO wrote to Jackie Lambert at RLP stating:

“Whilst there may have been agreements in the past about exchanging data and operating civil recovery with ACPO…there are no such agreements in place now and indeed on several occasions over the last few years I and my colleagues have asked that such references be deleted. Please remove from your website any and all references which state or imply that RLP operates its civil recovery in agreement or cooperation with the Police Service. Clearly if you have an agreement with an individual force you could make reference to that, but I know of none.”

In November 2010, ACPOS stated:

“At no time have ACPOS entered into any formal agreement with RLP or assisted them in any civil recovery”.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X