• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

First RLP letter-future implications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First RLP letter-future implications

I got caught with a perfume tester while walking out, the guys detained me and took my details + they found my passport which is not a British passport and took a photocopy of it. however, no police were called and they released me post signing a ban letter. Today I got a letter from RLP for 215 quids fine like everyone has got but at the store they never told me about the fine and said only thing that I'll face is getting banned from shopping instore and took my photo as well which he said that we have a very super HD cameras and will get you caught if you enter any of the store.
    The only thing I am concerned about is if I ignore to pay RLP fine and since I am from another country and here on a work visa and Debenhams has a copy of my passport, can I suspect any future implications with that like getting stopped on the airport or something in future and do they share my name for employment background checks?
    Tags: None

It is not a fine
    In the UK only courts issue fines.
    What you have received is a demand for money for some imagined loss
    It is a speculative invoice which you can ignore.

Ignoring it will not lead to any legal repercussions, and your name will not be shared for background checks

Comment

ok I'll trash their letter, and probably be moving out of the property in a couple of days, so it should not cause worry.

Comment

If you are moving out I would advise that you arrange for your post to be forwarded to your new address, either by arrangement with your landlord or by Royal Mail redirection service.

The reason is that RLP will send a further 4 or 5 demands.
        If these letters are returned to them they just MIGHT, out of spite, initiate a county court claim and obtain a default judgment against you.
        Now whilst this won't affect your visa status etc it is IMO better to avoid that possibility

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X